Construction Project Manager
Orkidstudio is seeking a skilled, experienced and competent construction project manager to oversee community-focused projects in Kenya and East Africa.
Orkidstudio works to benefit communities worldwide through innovative architecture, construction and social enterprise. We have delivered projects across a number of sub-Saharan African countries and have recently established our head office in Nairobi with the aim of expanding and focusing our activities on Kenya and East Africa.
Check out some of our videos here: www.vimeo.com/orkidstudio
Our team currently consists of designers, architects and project managers, from a diverse range of backgrounds and nationalities. We are looking for an experienced, skilled and competent construction project manager to lead a wide range of community-focused projects in Kenya and more widely across East Africa.
We operate our organisation as a collaborative team with shared input into the overall business strategy. In this regard, you would be expected to contribute to our business planning, development and growth, helping us drive forward an innovative and socially-focused enterprise model. This role does not require any prior experience in business.
You will be based in Nairobi, however, our projects are widespread meaning that you will be expected to spend extended periods away from home (estimated avg. 6 months away from Nairobi, max. 9 months per year).
You should have a higher education qualification in a relevant field (e.g. project management, architecture, construction), or be able to demonstrate sufficient experience relevant to the role in lieu of an academic qualification.
- Minimum 5 years experience working in construction or project management. In exceptional cases, less experience will be accepted, provided you can evidence significant ability in your field.
- Experience working with a wide range of construction techniques. Experience using low-cost and low-tech materials is preferable (e.g. rammed earth, earth bags, CSEBs, lime mortars).
- An understanding of Kenyan building codes, permit applications and other construction-related policies (not essential).
- Excellent team management skills.
- Excellent financial management and forecasting skills (e.g. for construction budgets).
- A background or ability in design or architecture would be a bonus.
- Strong ability to read and accurately interpret architectural and engineering drawings.
- Good writing skills (in English).
- Good client relationship and negotiating skills.
You must be fluent in English. Ability to speak Swahili, French or any other language used in East Africa would be an asset but is not essential.
- You must self-motivated and driven whether working individually or as part of a team.
- You should be a good communicator, able to present ideas and thoughts clearly, as well as able to respond promptly to emails or other forms of communication.
- You should have a good sense of time-keeping and managing a schedule.
- You should be willing to accommodate a flexible working environment, including working on-the-go, from an office or on-site.
- You must have an ability to work under pressure.
HOW TO APPLY
Please send your CV, a portfolio (if applicable) and a covering letter/email explaining why you wish to be part of our team stating ‘Construction Project Management Role’ in the Subject line. Send to firstname.lastname@example.org
There is no deadline for this role and we will review applications as and when they come in.
- : email@example.com
- : Human Resources
- : Orkidstudio
- : Job