The Autodesk Foundation and Siegel Family Endowment Invest in Engineering for Change Research Fellowships
November 1, 2021
Cookstove Testing Internship
Environment & Energy: Cookstove Testing Internship
Do you have a concern for people and the environment? Do you have a background in science? Do you enjoy working in a laboratory? Are you well organized, & pay attention to detail? Do you want to make an impact in the world? Do you enjoy working as part of a team?
Burn Design Lab, headquartered on Vashon Island, WA is offering an unpaid internship to a clear thinking, well-organized, undergraduate, who is ready to learn the details and challenges associated with determining the performance characteristics of improved biomass burning cookstoves. We are looking for someone with good communication skills, with a background in science or engineering who has an interest in laboratory testing, research, and data analysis. Burn Design Lab will provide housing plus a small stipend for living expenses for the selected candidate.
Burn Design Lab is a U.S. based an internationally focused non-profit organization dedicated to the improvement of lives and the environment in the developing world through research, design, and development of outstanding cookstoves and fuels.
The successful candidate will be engaged in some or all of the following:
• Performance, combustion, safety, durability, and emissions testing of cookstoves and related materials & systems.
• Biomass fuel analysis, and analysis of above testing results
• Providing input to stove designs based on testing results
• Documentation and improvement of testing methods and protocols
• Making improvements to & calibrations of laboratory systems & equipment
• Building cookstove prototypes out of sheet metal (forming, spot welding, and general metal fabrication), ceramics, refractory, & other materials.
• Writing reports, developing PPTs, and presenting results to the team.
Applicants should have the following experience and aptitudes:
• Pursuing a degree in science or engineering
• Collecting, organizing, & analyzing data.
• Proficiency with MS Excel, PPT, and Word.
• Significant laboratory & report writing experience
• Strong organization skills and attention to detail
• Eagerness to learn.
• Ability to work both independently and in a team environment.
• Strong work ethic.
Start Date & Duration
The internship is 6 – 12 months in duration, beginning in January 2022.
To apply, please send your CV and cover letter to email@example.com. For more information on BURN Design Lab, please visit www.burndesignlab.org or visit our Facebook page www.facebook.com/BURNDesignLab.
Proof of vaccination against COVID-19 is required to work at Burn Design Lab.
- : firstname.lastname@example.org
- : PAUL
- : MEANS
- : Burn Design Lab
- : Volunteer