D-Rev Design Engineering Intern
D-Rev is an international nonprofit company that designs and delivers medical technologies to close the quality healthcare gap for under-served populations.
Join D-Rev’s New Product Development Group and contribute to one or both of the following problem areas in low income countries:
- 3 million amputees need a new or replacement knee every year, 534,000 in India alone (Pearlman). Most don’t have a formal prosthetic & use crutches.
- Project: 2016 saw the launch of the ReMotion Knee (TED Talk), our radically affordable, highperformance prosthetic knee for AK amputees in lowincome regions.
- Respiratory distress & nutritional deficiencies in infants caused by infection & prematurity, the leading cause of death in children under 5.
- Project: Assist in the prototype & development of devices to treat at-risk premature newborns in complex, underresourced regions
More details available here
The ideal candidate should be a rising junior or senior pursuing a degree in mechanical or electrical engineering, and possess the following:
- Solid technical background related to design and testing of products
- Tinkerer at heart – building mechanical components and playing with an Arduino sounds more like fun than work.
- Extremely strong team player
- Open-minded, quick learner, independent thinker, takes initiative
- Adaptable and comfortable in a fast-paced environment
Skills & Experience
- For mechanical engineering candidates: experience with Autodesk Inventor, Fusion, or other equivalent modeling software (SolidWorks, Pro-E). Experience with rapid prototyping and conventional machining techniques (mill, lathe). Track record of electro mechanical prototyping beneficial.
- For electrical engineering candidates: experience with electrical prototyping (Arduino / Rasp Pi) & PCB design software
- Ability to break-down & communicate technical concepts to the whole team, some of which will not be engineers
What’s in it for you?
- Real world, hands on experience!
- Tackle the biggest problems in world!
- As part of our technical team, you will have opportunities to participate in problem solving activities; conceive and discuss design solutions; brainstorms for product development; and learn more about design and healthcare in under-resourced settings
- Valuable presentation practice via end of summer knowledge transfer to team
- Exposure and access to various machine shops and prototyping facilities in San Francisco
- Being in San Francisco for the summer, everything is awesome!
TO APPLY*, please submit the following to Casey Trubo by Feb 28, 2017.
- Resume (1 page)
- Cover letter explaining why you are a great fit & why you’re interested
- [optional] design portfolio / examples of your work in the design or construction of physical prototypes
*Must be enrolled in the Autodesk Student Expert program prior to the internship commencing.
- : firstname.lastname@example.org
- : Casey
- : Trubo
- : D-Rev
- : Job