Design Engineering Fellowship, Improved Cookstoves in Kenya
BURN is a social venture that saves lives and forests in the developing world through the design, local production, and distribution of clean burning cookstoves. BURN currently manufactures one stove per minute in its solar-powered modern manufacturing facility just outside of Nairobi, Kenya. BURN has sold more than 200,000 of its flagship ‘jikokoa’ household improved charcoal stoves, thus reaching more than 1 million people. BURN’s Kenya-based product development team works closely with consumers and the factory to launch new products for the East African market.
BURN is currently seeking a mission driven candidate as a Design Engineering Fellow in our factory in Ruiru, Kenya. Responsibilities include:
• Conceptual and detailed design of clean burning cookstoves for East Africa
• Research and developing manufacturing processes including designing tools for production
• Fabrication including sheet metal forming, welding, and general metal fabrication
• Testing concepts and prototypes in the lab and field
• Mechanical engineering, product development, or industrial design background
• Familiarity with basic equipment and tools, such as drill press, mill, lathe, etc.
• Mechanical aptitude
• Background in heat transfer, fluid dynamics, and thermodynamics
• High level organizational skills
• Works well in team setting
• Goal oriented
• Practical working experience
• Preference for experience with CNC, sheet metal, production environments, or process development
Location and Duration:
12-month fellowship in Ruiru, Kenya to begin in Aug – Oct 2017. Fellows receive a stipend of $1,100 per month and housing in a company house. BURN will provide one round trip flight at the beginning and end of the fellowship.
To apply please send your CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org in the following filename format: .
For more information on BURN please visit www.burnstoves.com.
- : email@example.com
- : Anne
- : BURN Manufacturing USA LLC
- : Fellowship