Angaza Seeks a Devices Team Lead
Angaza creates technology for selling life-changing products in underserved markets.
When a family in Tanzania (or Kenya, or Nigeria, or India…) buys a solar home system with “pay-as-you-go” (PAYG) financing, their new system was often designed and manufactured by an Angaza partner such as Greenlight Planet or Fosera. The partner worked closely with Angaza to integrate PAYG technology deeply into the product electronics, firmware, and overall design. After the sale, the distributor uses Angaza software to manage that family’s affordable payment plan. Each of their installment payments is processed by Angaza backend software, reactivating the solar home system by communicating with the Angaza firmware that it embeds.
Intelligent devices make this story possible. Angaza develops the circuits and firmware behind PAYG intelligence, with a focus on communication technologies ranging from secure keycodes to GSM. We work with product partners to integrate our PAYG solutions into their device hardware, and we support their distribution customers with effective software tools for selling those connected products.
Angaza is hiring an engineering team lead for off-grid hardware partnerships. This role involves four primary activities:
- Team management: ensuring that each engineer on your team has the support, development, and opportunities they need to succeed every day and to grow over time.
- Engineering management: evolving team and partner processes for making technical decisions and applying your own technical judgment, to create great off-grid PAYG products.
- Product management: crafting and communicating specific functional choices about new Angaza solutions, and about the behavior of PAYG features in partner products.
- Project management: setting and meeting internal and external expectations about functionality, reliability, and scheduled delivery.
Should You Reach Out?
If you’re excited by what we do, send us an email no matter what. Top candidates may have some of the following attributes:
- You have been an effective individual contributor: you were directly responsible for firmware development, circuit design, or a similar area, in a professional capacity, for at least five years.
- You have held some role or roles involving team management and engineering leadership, for at least one year.
- You are interested in working directly with customers and partners. In general, you communicate well in writing and in person.
- You consider and communicate the tradeoffs of different engineering and product choices, rather than jumping straight to the one that feels right.
- You might not have been directly responsible for product management, but you do think through how a product works for its end users, and you care about getting those product decisions right.
- You appreciate the craft in your work, and you value its impact even more.
Our Goals Matter
Plenty of other companies design for mature industries and well-served markets. Angaza instead designs technology that works better for people and places that are often edge cases for other solutions. Those underserved markets are our core users.
Angaza believes in engineering challenges, not product constraints. We believe that businesses operating in emerging markets, selling to off-grid consumers, will use Angaza tools to dramatically improve the daily lives of hundreds of millions of people over the next decade. We believe these things in part because we work every day to make them real.
If you think these goals sound worth working toward, then join us and work toward them.
- : email@example.com
- : -
- : -
- : angaza
- : Job