Electrical Engineer Intern
Design that Matters (DtM) is seeking a driven, socially-committed, entrepreneurial individual with an electrical engineering background and strong prototyping skills to join our summer student design team. In a ten-week design sprint, we will challenge you to develop a functional prototype of a medical device for newborns in developing countries, based on work already in progress at DtM.
Possible challenge areas include: a newborn warming device to prevent hypothermia, a user-friendly pulse-oximeter for pneumonia diagnosis, and an Internet of Things (IoT) remote-monitoring tool for medical equipment donations. As a member of the design team, you will have access to our rapid prototyping studio, which includes 3D printers, an Epilog laser cutter, a small CNC mill and space to make a mess.
As part of the design team, you will learn and apply DtM’s product development process, which will include market research, the development of product specifications and requirements, and many many iterations of concept development, testing and revision. As a final deliverable, you will present your physical prototype and the detailed project documentation to DtM team members and local experts in product design, newborn medicine and global health.
During the sprint, you might be flexing your creative muscles to:
- Brainstorm product concepts through doodles and post-it notes with DtM and local experts
- Create software from scratch that runs on network devices and embedded platforms
- Develop design concepts from circuit models to protoboards to custom PCBs
- Build remarkable physical “looks-like” and “works-like” design concepts using desktop manufacturing tools, hand tools, power tools and whatever else you can get your hands on.
- Test key product assumptions and features through interviews and prototype demos
Given that we’re a small team, you might also:
- host a studio tour group and demo your work-in-progress
- represent Design that Matters at a conference or a PR event
- take a turn carrying out the trash, or running to the post office for stamps
You’re a prototyper who understands that success comes more quickly by engaging others through trial and error. You have some project experience under your belt and you’re excited to take on challenges. You enjoy collaborating with a team, but you’re also a good fit with DtM’s culture of self‐education and DIY.
- Rising senior or master’s degree in electrical engineering or a related field
- Rapid prototyping experience connecting software, hardware and the user interface
- Experience architecting, coding, and deploying, software applications in one or more of: low-level embedded applications; communications systems; web-based applications; or cloud-based applications.
- Experience or familiarity with Internet of Things Architectures
- Experience or familiarity with network APIs (wired, wireless – or both)
- International and/or social sector experience would be an advantage but not necessary
How to Apply
Email a cover letter and work experience to email@example.com. Please put “[SUMMER INTERN]” in the subject line of your email so it doesn’t get buried in our inbox. In your letter, please include links to at least two of your own projects you think highlight your qualifications for this position.