The Autodesk Foundation and Siegel Family Endowment Invest in Engineering for Change Research Fellowships
October 7, 2021
Mechanical / Industrial Engineer Internship
Do you have a concern for people and the environment? Do you have a background in mechanical or industrial engineering? Are you both creative and results oriented? Do you enjoy engineering and want to make an impact in the world? Do you enjoy working as part of a team?
Burn Design Lab, headquartered on Vashon Island, WA is offering an unpaid internship to a clear thinking, creative, undergraduate mechanical or industrial engineer, who is ready to make lasting contributions to the development of leading edge biomass burning cookstoves. We are looking for someone who enjoys working to develop creative solutions to challenging problems. Burn Design Lab will provide a small living expense stipend, plus provide housing or a housing stipend for the selected candidate.
Burn Design Lab is a U.S. based internationally focused non-profit organization dedicated to the improvement of lives and the environment in the developing world through
research, design, and development of outstanding cookstoves and cookstove manufacturing systems.
The successful candidate will be engaged in some or all of the following
• Working both alone and together with others to developing conceptual designs
• Using CAD (Fusion 360) to develop detailed designs of cookstoves
• Using CAD to design appropriate technology for cookstove production
• Building prototypes from sheet metal (forming, spot welding, and general metal fabrication), ceramic, refractory, & other materials.
• Designing, building, testing, & evaluating manufacturing tooling
•Conducting performance and emissions testing of biomass fueled cookstoves
• Evolving design based on test results and on feedback from potential users.
• Cookstove material evaluation and selection
Applicants should have the following experience and aptitudes:
• Pursuing a degree in mechanical &/or industrial engineering
• Competency in Fusion 360 &/or other CAD tools.
• Hands-on maintenance, fabrication, &/or construction experience.
• Eagerness to learn both hands-on and academically.
• Ability to effectively get project work done.
• Ability to thrive both independently and in a team environment.
• A willingness to pitch in and contribute where needed.
• A strong work ethic.
Start Date & Duration
The internship is 6 – 12 months duration, beginning in January 2022.
To apply, please send your CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. For more information on BURN Design Lab, please visit www.burndesignlab.org or visit our Facebook page www.facebook.com/BURNDesignLab.
- : email@example.com
- : paul
- : means
- : burn design lab
- : Volunteer