Medium to Long-term Dominica Housing Structural Volunteers
This assignment will continue EWB-USA‘s work providing technical support to the government of Dominica through engagement with United Nations Development Program (UNDP) in response to Hurricane Maria. The Government of Dominica is committed to adapting to climate change (increased frequency of severe storms) in the ongoing reconstruction efforts on the island.
Description + Responsibilities
Members will work closely with the UNDP program team in Dominica, a small Caribbean island located between the French islands of Guadeloupe and Martinique. The specific assignment in this posting is for professionals to assist with the expansion of the government’s capability to oversee the reconstruction process. EWB-USA will mobilize in January to add capacity to the existing Technical Support Staff members from Physical Planning.
Future work in Dominica may include an expansion of this program or additional infrastructure work.
• Assist with the development and delivery of a Housing Reconstruction Training Workshop
• Perform quality assurance reviews of the structural assessments being performed
• Proactively work with the wider recovery community with knowledge and information sharing.
• Ensure proper oversight of housing construction
• Perform inspections of building repair
Qualifications + Requirements
• Experience with home construction including wood frame, metal roof and block masonry wall is required
• Experience working with the housing sector in hurricane/cyclone/typhoon-affected regions of the world.
• Experience with building inspection process is an advantage
• Structural Engineering experience is an advantage
The United Nations will fund airfare for one, round trip flight. Lodging and local transportation will also be provided. Per diem will also be provided for meals and incidentals.
Full-time engagement during field assignment.
Field assignments will ideally be 2 months through January and February. One-month assignments will be considered and potential also exists for work through the rest of 2018.
Candidates for this and any Engineering Service Corps field assignment should plan to complete the half-day field security management course from RedR: http://redr.org.uk/en/Training-and-more/mission-ready.cfm
Interested candidates should apply with EWB-USA online: https://www.ewb-usa.org/job/medium-to-long-term-dominica-housing-structural-volunteers/
Tell Us You Are Interested
Not sure if this is the position for you? Stay in the loop with EWB-USA for future volunteer opportunities by filling out this quick Interest Form: https://www.ewb-usa.org/programs/engineering-service-corps/
- : firstname.lastname@example.org
- : Jaclyn
- : Wilmot
- : Engineers Without Borders USA
- : Volunteer