Operations superintendent – Cap-Haitien, Haiti
Meds & Food for Kids (MFK) is a social enterprise, operating in the north of Haiti, with an administrative headquarters office in St. Louis, Missouri. A social enterprise has social goals which it meets by following sound business principles; it reinvests all positive margins back into the mission. MFK is dedicated to saving the lives of Haiti’s malnourished children and other nutritionally vulnerable people. MFK accomplishes its mission by developing, producing and distributing highly nutritious foods, including the gold-standard Ready-to-Use Therapeutic Food (RUTF). It makes its food products in Haiti, using Haitian workers and, whenever possible, Haitian raw materials. The factory is run increasingly with Haitian management, as a requisite for a sustainable future.
The Operations Superintendent would be responsible for managing all aspects and personnel related to production of Ready-to-use Therapeutic Foods at the facility in Cap-Haitien, Haiti.
• Production Planning; this would include a 1 to 2-year outlook, annual operating plan (AOP), and monthly production requirements. This includes working with Sales, Supply Chain and other teams to agree on each production plan. It is important to have a long-term outlook on production requirements in this role to insure the plant is capable of meeting production demands outside current manufacturing capabilities
• Develop and continuous improvement of the safety culture: A strong safety commitment is essential in this role. Developing a safety culture of employee involvement and empowerment that allow everyone to participate in improving the safety of the workforce. Develop metrics for the facility to monitor goals and improvements. Highlight improvements made throughout the year for the team to see
• Manage the entire workflow of the manufacturing operations: This could include raw material receipt and storage, procedures, policies, equipment files, operator training and evaluation, shift scheduling, tracking daily production and process downtime, maintenance of the production and utility equipment, emergency planning, and meeting the requirements of the quality system as it pertains to plant operations
• Provide production and cost reporting to senior management monthly and an annual summary report. These reports are typically compared to the AOP and monthly plans (SOP)
• Participate in mid-range planning (3-5 years) for the facility. This would include planning for future expansions, equipment replacement/upgrades, staffing requirements, utility upgrades, preparing for upcoming regulations or quality standards
• Support the COO and / or plant manager as needed such as special projects, coverage for the facility and business when the COO and/or plant manager is away from the factory
• Works closely with all teams daily, including quality, logistics and maintenance.
• A technical degree in engineering (industrial or mechanical engineering preferred)
• 3 to 5 years of manufacturing experience; experience with food processing preferred
• A strong commitment for safety and quality.
• Training in statistical quality control would be a plus
• Role requires the person to be highly organized, have good people-management skills, strong communication skills, strong technical ability
• Job is near Cap-Haitien, Haiti and requires a minimum one-year commitment. Requires a willingness to live in a developing country
• Fluent English is required; French and / or Haitian Creole a plus
Compensation and Benefits:
• Housing, health insurance, generous time off package, plane tickets to and from country of residence, access to transportation, competitive stipend provided
Send Résumé or CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please put “Operations Superintendent” in the subject line. Only finalists will receive response.
- : email@example.com
- : Lauren
- : Plummer
- : Meds & Food for Kids
- : Job