Program Manager for the Innovation in International Development Lab (I2D)
The Office of Global Engineering Program’s (GEP) Innovation in International Development Lab (I2D Lab) helps translate faculty and student innovations to scalable impact in global sustainable development through an enhanced focus on appropriate technologies for roadblock challenges and partnerships for business and entrepreneurship in low and moderate income countries. The I2D Lab emphasizes engineering R and D areas in energy access, healthcare, water and sanitation, labor-saving innovation, humanitarian response, and information and communication technologies for economic development.
The Lab Program Manager supports I2D Lab projects – by helping identify new opportunities for I2D Lab projects; by helping interested I2D faculty to write grants to donors in international development to support the continuation of activities beyond seed grants; by monitoring progress in ongoing projects; by mentoring project teams as needed towards appropriate, sustainable, and scalable solutions; providing help with international partner relations as needed; by facilitating, as needed, the recruitment of students for new projects; by planning and organizing, with the help of other GEP staff, the annual I2D Lab expo- an annual celebration of engineering innovation in international development with invited speakers, poster sessions, and display of Purdue technologies/solutions for international development.
The I2D Lab program manager is also expected to develop and participate in a few projects in their own technical area or work experience, especially those projects that are also of potential interest to students/faculty.
The I2D Lab Program Manager works closely with the GEP Managing Director and the GEP Leadership; travels as needed to conferences related to international development or to meet with agencies/partners to develop new programs/grant proposals or manage relationships or evaluate project progress, and helps GEP Managing Director and GEP leadership with relevant materials for grant proposals, presentations, data management and reporting requirements for grants, as needed or appropriate.
- Master’s degree with at least one degree an engineering, science, agriculture, technology, international development, international economics, peace studies, or related fields.
- Three years’ experience in international development in one of these areas: energy access, healthcare, water and sanitation, labor-saving innovation, disaster relief, information and communication technologies for economic development.
- Experiences in one or more of the following: social issues in technology adoption in emerging economies, integrating local businesses/entrepreneurs in emerging economies into international development solutions, effective social entrepreneurship models in international development.
- Experience in working with donors to develop new projects in international development, international development project management, networking with non-governmental organizations, corporations, government entities, academic institutions and other stakeholders engaged in international development.
- Detail-oriented and able to manage and execute multiple tasks, have the ability to mentor students, make effective presentations to different audiences, as well as to and work independently and under deadlines
- Excellent written communication skills, exceptional interpersonal skills and the ability to work with cross-discipline teams.
- Capable of extended international travel to meet partners.
- Ability to develop effective project reports, presentations, flyers, and written material for grant proposals or media etc.
- Valid driver’s license.
- Foreign language skills desirable especially in major languages of relevance to international development projects such as Spanish, French, Kiswahili, Arabic, or languages from the Indian sub-continent.
- A background check will be required for employment.
- FLSA: Exempt (Not Eligible for Overtime)
- Retirement Eligibility: Defined Contribution Waiting Period.
- Purdue University is an EEO/AA employer. All individuals, including minorities, women, individuals with disabilities, and protected veterans are encouraged to apply.