Senior Associate (or Manager) ICT4D & Measurement
The Center for Effective Global Action (CEGA) is a hub for research on international development, with a network of over 60 academic researchers extending across the University of California, Stanford, and the University of Washington. Our faculty affiliates measure the impact of large-scale social and economic development programs, using randomized controlled trials and other rigorous methods. CEGA brings a scientific lens to global poverty, integrating empirical economic analysis with expertise in agriculture, public health, education, engineering, and the environment.
A topic of growing interest is the use of Information & Communication Technologies (ICT4D) for enhancing the accuracy and integrity of data collected in field research settings. Recognizing that reliable data is essential for effective decision-making, CEGA is supporting a handful of research projects to streamline data gathering and impact measurement. Leveraging partnerships with technologies companies in Silicon Valley, these new projects are integrating innovative collection tools such as smartphones, micro-satellites, and sensor networks to make program monitoring and evaluation better, faster, and cheaper.
The Senior Associate will be responsible for coordinating and developing this growing set of research projects into a coherent CEGA program around the topic of “ICT4D & Measurement”.
• Ensure the effective management and development of ongoing research projects, in close partnerships with CEGA researchers and technology partners.
• Support the harmonization of research projects in the portfolio, including the collection, analysis, and reporting of data on the costs and outcomes of research studies.
• Manage budgets and financial tracking for the initiative
• Lead all aspects of grant writing, as well as financial and programmatic reporting to current funders.
• Facilitate the cultivation of existing partners, and expand CEGA’s “ICT4D & Measurement” network through targeted outreach and engagement.
• Explore new funding opportunities for the initiative.
• Spearhead the organization of all the initiative’s activities, including grant competitions, scientific convenings, and training workshops. Lead agenda development, participant engagement, and oversight of logistics and administrative requirements.
• Work closely with CEGA’s Communication Manager to ensure the proper communication and promotion for the initiative.
• Present research findings at conferences and seminars (4-5 travels a year).
• Stay abreast of latest development in ICT4D by attending meetings and workshops, and maintaining close relationships with technology partners.
• Contribute to the overall development of the Center by participating in working groups and process documentation.
End of August 2015.
• MA/MS in Economics, Information Management, Public Health, or an ICT4D-related discipline.
• At least one to two years of professional experience in a non-profit or socially responsible organization.
• Experience coordinating projects in a developing country, such as overseeing field data collection and analysis.
• Basic technical understanding of ICT4D tools, such as digital data collection apps, SMS communication platforms, geospatial mapping tools, or environmental sensors.
• Experience managing grants, and interacting with private and public donors.
• Exceptional communicator, both verbally and in writing.
• Ability to work effectively independently.
• Proven ability to multitask and respond to time-sensitive deadlines.
• Ability to work effectively in cross-cultural environments.
• Demonstrated interest in and knowledge of evidence-based policy-making and data-driven development.
• Perfectionist with high attention to details.
• Experience working with researchers and faculty in an academic setting.
Salary & Benefits
Annual: $43,300 – $70,000. Salary is commensurate with experience.
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
All applications must be submitted through the UC Berkeley jobs website. Please visit http://jobs.berkeley.edu and search for Job ID# #20313. In addition to a current CV, candidates should submit a cover letter outlining (1) qualifications for the responsibilities listed above, (2) specific interest in the position, and (3) at least two academic and/or professional references. Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying. Incomplete applications will not be considered. The University of California, Berkeley is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.