Compatible Technology International (CTI) is a nonprofit organization headquartered in St. Paul, MN whose programs provide simple post-harvest technology solutions for small farmers in Sub-Saharan Africa. We were founded in 1981, and throughout the years, we’ve equipped small farmers in more than 40 countries with affordable technologies for threshing, winnowing, milling grain, drying and storing crops.
We design, test, and adapt technologies that reduce food loss, improve food quality, and reduce drudgery for women farmers. We work with local manufacturers and distributors to make them available and accessible. We help train farmers with the technologies to expand their opportunities.
Millions of small farmers continue to depend on rudimentary tools – such as hand hoes and mortars and pestles – to harvest and process their crops. The inefficiency of these tools contributes to food loss and poor food quality. Though larger-scale technologies are available in some urban centers, small farmers are most in need of more simple, affordable options in the rural sector.
Position Description: CTI is seeking a Technology Director who will lead CTI’s technology department, supporting our expanding programs in Sub-Saharan Africa.
• Strong leadership and management skills
• Comfortable working in multi-sectoral, multi-cultural research and implementation teams
• Proven experience in design engineering and manufacturing
• Technical training and experience in mechanical and/or agricultural engineering (knowledge of human-centered design)
• Experience working with low-income communities in developing countries (preferably Africa)
• Strong communications/computer skills
• Minimum Bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering, agricultural engineering, or related field
International travel is required as well as regular international calls and e-mail exchanges. The frequency of travel will be based on funding and program priorities.
• Provide overall strategic leadership, management for, and implementation of CTI’s technology department
• Assess existing post-harvest agricultural equipment in developing countries to build the CTI technology portfolio
• Coordinate U.S.-Africa engineering and design teams (research, prototyping, testing)
• Oversee manufacturing partnerships, including quality of supplies and final products
• Lead technical training and capacity-building as needed through CTI programs
This position is based at CTI Headquarters in St. Paul, MN. It is an exempt salaried position with retirement benefits and a generous vacation package. The Technology Director will report regularly to the Executive Director and collaborate with regional project managers.
To apply: Please send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line “Technology Director” and your first and last name.
- : email@example.com
- : Lizzi
- : Whittlesey
- : Compatible Technology International
- : Job