The project aims to develop a user-friendly Climate-Resilient Shelter guide for shelter officers working in the humanitarian sector, focusing on designing flood and/or seismic-resilient shelters for displaced persons. The objective is to create templates and designs for shelters that effectively withstand flood and/or seismic events. The project will also entail providing recommendations for flood mitigation measures specifically tailored for emergency shelters, as well as enhancing flood and/or seismic resilience for transitional and durable shelter types. Additionally, the project aims to offer customized templates and recommendations that cater to the diverse contexts and environmental challenges faced by field teams.
Primary responsibilities include:
- Research and Analysis: Conduct in-depth studies to identify best practices and materials for resilient shelter construction.
- Design Development: Create templates and designs for flood and/or seismic resilient shelters.
- Recommendation Formulation: Develop actionable recommendations for flood mitigation measures in emergency shelters.
- Resilience Enhancement: Provide specific guidelines to enhance flood and/or seismic resilience in transitional and durable shelter types.
- Documentation and Reporting: Prepare user-friendly documentation summarizing the research, designs, and recommendations.
To support the research aspect required, the fellow will be provided with different resources, materials and previous guidance related to the topic in addition to the standards and minimum requirements UNHCR operates within.
This project strongly aligns with UNHCR and its partners’ commitment to climate action and sustainability, specifically within the realm of shelter provision for the forcibly displaced and stateless persons. The deliverables of this project aim to significantly enhance the safety and resilience of shelters provided to displaced persons, directly supporting the Second Pillar of UNHCR’s Strategic Framework for Climate Action and its Operational Strategy for climate resilience and sustainability.
Skills / Experience:
- Structural Design and Analysis
- CAD Modeling
- CAD Rendering
- Technical writing and documentation
- Cross-disciplinary Collaboration
- Cultural Sensitivity
- Familiarity with Building Codes and Standards
- Communication Skills
- Required AutoCAD [Expert]
- Required Civil 3D [Intermediate]
- Desired Revit [Intermediate]
- Desired 3DS Max [Basic]
- Civil and structural engineering
Preferred Fellow Local Experience (All projects can be completed remotely):
Preferred Timezone (when the Fellow should be available for meetings):
- CEST (UTC+2)