Avalanche Energy is a fusion energy start-up designing, testing, and building micro-fusion reactors that you can hold in your hand. The modular reactor design can be stacked for endless power applications and unprecedented energy density to provide clean energy and decarbonize the planet. Avalanche’s unique approach enables rapid iterations of design, build, test, and fix cycles for faster development and the rapid scalability that the planet needs.
Future applications of the fusion reactor, and radiation shielding will be a critical piece of engineering work. Currently, radiation shielding approaches are large and/or heavy. In some applications (space, mobility), weight will be a key decision point for the viability of a project. Identifying novel approaches to radiation shielding is going to be an important task.
Primary responsibilities include:
- Working with Avalanche’s internal team to research, identify and test software to 3D print multi-material parts for radiation shielding.
- Identify gaps in available software solutions or platforms and document information requires to build customised software for 3D Printing of this application.
Avalanche Energy wants to create the key empowering technology to help fix the planet. It envisions fusion power packs as the foundation for creating a world with abundant clean water, healthy oceans, vast rainforests, and immense glaciers in healthy equilibrium.
Skills / Experience:
- CAD Modeling
- Manufacturing / Design for Manufacturing
- Prototyping / Fast Prototyping
- 3D printing, experience with materials of interest for shielding (tungsten, lithium, boron, graphite), experience writing software
- Physics background, experience with multi-material filament 3D printing
- Required: Proficiency in CAD software such as AutoCAD or Fusion 360
- Mechanical Engineering, Industrial, manufacturing or process engineering
Preferred fellow local experience (all projects can be completed remotely):
- Any, but US-based is preferable
Time zone compatibility (when the Fellow should be available for meetings):
- PDT (UTC-7)