The primary objective of the project will be to improve the design of food processing equipment. Science For Society (S4S) is offering decentralized solar food processing led by women farmers turned entrepreneurs to prevent food wastage, reduce GHG emissions, and increase farmer incomes.
S4S is leveraging solar-based technology to build a climate-resilient food system, especially around vegetables, millet, fish/seafood, and other commodities. Through its offering, S4S is building capacities of women farmers and collectives for alternative livelihoods and improved incomes, which eventually empower communities by building resilience through inclusive and gender-transformative approaches.
Primary responsibilities include:
- Working with the S4S team to design and improve the existing food processing technologies for user-centric design, better hygiene, and efficiency.
- Produce drawings to be supplied to manufacturers.
- Collect user feedback to inform future improvements of the designs.
S4S aims to achieve a significant environmental impact in the next 3 years by annually preventing a total of 1.2 million tons of food from getting wasted and preventing 10 million tons of CO2 from entering the environment through stopping food wastage, minimal logistics, and switching to clean energy for food processing.
Skills / Experience:
- Machine Design
- Manufacturing/Design for Manufacturing
- CAD Modeling
- Industrial Design background for user-centric design
- Background in food technology, solar (renewable energy), and biomass handling
- Required: Proficiency in CAD software such as AutoCAD or Fusion 360
- Mechanical engineering
Preferred fellow local experience (All projects can be completed remotely):
- Maharashtra, India
Preferred timezone (when the Fellow should be available for meetings):
- IST (UTC+5:30)