The Angaza Platform enables manufacturers and distributors of off-grid energy products to incorporate pay as you go (PAYG) functionality. Angaza partners with hardware companies to integrate PAYG to allow Base of the Pyramid customers to pay for products over time, thereby making these products more affordable. Angaza is a software company with core products including the Energy Hub and Activator to pair with hardware products. The Angaza offering is compatible with cable, keypad, or GSM based systems.
Custom firmware development and hardware integration delivered by Angaza based on customer product.
Intellectural Property Type
User Provision Model
Companies selling energy products can obtain the Angaza platform from their contact page. End-users of the platform may obtain access codes for the systems via direct sales agents, mobile money, or via Angaza's software platform, the Energy Hub.
Distributions to Date Status
The Angaza products for manufacturers include 3 embedded technology options that integrate into a variety of clean energy devices for communication with a PAYG device:
- Cable based: ideal for small, portable PAYG devices where a sales agent equipped with the Angaza mobile App (the Angaza Activator) will be physically present.
- Keypad: integrates into energy products in 2 ways -the product can be sold with an external keypad or the keypad can be integrated onto the device. This uni-directional data communication method relies on direct SMS communication to the customer and removes the need for a sales agent network in markets with mobile money.
- GSM technology services: optimized for use with higher-end, non-portable PAYG products. The technology relies on the cellular network to transmit data bi-directionally between the product and Angaza's software platform, the Energy Hub.
- The Angaza Energy Hub: a web interface for PAYG distribution operations, allowing customers to manage their PAYG business.
- The Activator: Angaza's mobile app supports data-driven distribution operations in the field. Sales agents and dealers can use the Activator to manage customers, troubleshoot issues, and track agent finances.
Firmware is continuously updated.
Manufacturer Specified Performance Parameters
Angaza claims their cable-based technology is the lowest cost, highest reliability option for communication with a pay-as-you-go device. The company aims to provide seamless integration of the platform into a wide variety of clean energy devices.
Vetted Performance Status
Complementary Technical Systems
Angaza platform can be connected to any power solar system, laptops, and smartphones. Also, companies can connect this product to CRM or other software to manage their sales.
Academic Research and References
Nique, M., & Smertnik, H., 2015. The Synergies Between Mobile Phone Access and Off Grid Energy Solutions. Decentralized Solutions for Developing Economies pp 185-193
Albi, E., Gasse, K. V., & Kozel, K., 2013. Market Evaluation: Viability of the SoLite3 in Uganda. Global Social Benefit Fellowship.
Compliance with regulations
Video showcasing the solution. For clarification, Angaza does not offer hardware solutions interview in June 2016.