Opibus is a service provided to convert vehicles to electric vehicles. This is performed by replacing the full power drive train by an electric drive system. The replacing system consists of three battery boxes and one electric motor.
Market Suggested Retail Price
Distributors / Implementing Organizations
The electric drive trains are assembled and installed in Nairobi, Kenya.
Intellectural Property Type
User Provision Model
Users directly send their vehicle to the workshop of Opibus for replacement.
Distributions to Date Status
Plans to begin EV conversion by Q1 2020, no distribution information available
The system replacing the traditional drive train consists of 3 battery boxes and one electric motor. The following specifications are available online:
- Battery sizes and type: from 30 kWh/LiFePO4
- Electric Motor: From 100/180 kW
- Torque: 1128/2582 Nm
- Top speed: per design limited to 120 km/h to respect local speed limitations
- Range: it depends on the battery size, the terrain, vehicle weight and driving style, for a reference at 70 km/h
- 30 kWh battery: 140 km
- 50 kWh battery: 245 km
- 70 kWh battery: 350 km
- Braking: Braking pedal sensors, secondary emergency using hydraulic or vacuum disk brakes
- Waterproofness is ensured by an extra case protecting the drive train
- Power steering: Aided by electric motor assistance
- User interface: Dashboard is modified to show the parameters of the electric propulsion
- Select the vehicle either new or used with a faulty engine and gearbox
- Vehicle is received at the Workshop for inspection and to ensure improved performance after the conversion
- Engine and fuel tanks are removed and the electric drive train is installed in exchange. Dashboard and power steering function are also installed
- Test the converted vehicle according to international standards and local regulations
- Connect to a smart charging station
- Start the electric vehicle
Technical support is ensured through a real-time health monitoring system. A reduced operational downtime is listed in the service agreement. Technical support is provided by Opibus mechanics.
Components of the electric drive train system are interchangeable.
Battery packs are the limiting component, they can last around 200,000 km.
Manufacturer Specified Performance Parameters
The total efficiency of the electric motor is 94-96%. Running costs are expected to be reduced by 80%, savings on maintenance are estimated at 8000 USD yearly.
Vetted Performance Status
Prototype Testing is performed by the manufacturer and the Kenyan government. Testing results are not available but there are ongoing discussions to ease the licensing process of the converted vehicles.
Safety hazards related to lithium batteries are mitigated with compliance with safety regulations.
Complementary Technical Systems
Charging stations with a regular power outlet (3 kW) are needed.
Academic Research and References
Gren, L., 2018 “Insamling Och Visualisering Av Data Från Opibus Elbilar”, CANdidaten
Compliance with regulations
The converted vehicles are compliant with Kenyan law and regulation, it is also accepted by the NTSA (National Transport and Safety Authority) and the KEBS (Kenya Bureau of Standards).