Fábrica Social de Viviendas
Fábrica Social de Viviendas produces prefabricated houses that are modular to adapt to the needs of each family.
Fábrica Social de Viviendas is a company that produces prefabricated modular houses, mainly with wooden structures. The houses are modular to adapt to the needs of each family and can be deployed in a few weeks. The products look to tackle the housing needs in Latin America. It is an initiative of TECHO, a major NGO that works in urban settlements in 21 countries of Latin America and has already constructed more than 10,000 solutions.
Fábrica Social de Viviendas distributed its products in Paraguay but also operates in Argentina, Mexico and Colombia. They have a regional perspective and aim to work in all Latin America.
Fábrica Social de Viviendas is the main producer. The product has been implemented by TECHO.
4300 USD (Gs. 29.000.000) – 6700 USD (Gs. 45.000.000)Converted on August 2021. An inclusive financial system is available.
Primary competitors include self constructed houses by the community and other construction systems for urban settlements in LATAM such us: Vivienda Social Rural FNH; Sustainable Incremental Construction Unit; Vivienda Minga Valpo. Also other initiatives of TECHO to provide incremental housing systems, including Proyecto Integral de Vivienda Progresiva.
Target users include families in urban settlements that do not have proper housing access.
House components are produced with an industrialized method that improves quality and productivity and then they are assembled on-site.
Patented by Fábrica Social de Viviendas / TECHO.
The product is both commercialized in urban settlements with the possibility of using an inclusive financial support and also distributed and constructed by volunteers of TECHO network.
More than 10,000 have been produced and constructed in LATAM as of August 2021.
Indication of whether design can be replicated in multiple locations
Number of individuals. 1 family = 5 persons.
Number of days from start of construction to completion
Surface area of footprint
Number of occupiable floors (ground floor only = 1)
Primary materials used
Composite estimated R-value
As calculated by designer
As calculated by designer
Based upon primary structural system as per the International Building Code
Based upon Structural Occupancy Category and soil conditions of site; as per the International Building Code
List of suitable climates for use of this design
The modular design allows easy adaptation to the needs of each family. The products have 4 main designs but new modules can be added. The 4 designs are:
- “Premium house”: 40 m² ; 2 bedrooms ; bathroom and kitchen + living room.
- “Happy House”: 26 m² ; 2 bedrooms ; bathroom and kitchen + living room.
- “Elevated Happy House”: 26 m² ; 2 bedrooms ; bathroom and kitchen + living room. Constructed over pillars. It is beneficial for land with risk of flooding.
- “Tiny House”: 18 m² ; 1 bedroom; bathroom and tiny kitchen.
Further technical specifications:
- Reinforced concrete slab floor, 6 cm thick.
- Galvanized sheet roof, with the possibility of using sheet with expanded polyurethane (additional cost).
- Fibre cement walls, waterproof and fireproof material, with a reforested and treated pine wood structure.
- Hinged windows, of the same material as the walls.
- Insulation of the roof made of aluminized membrane or 8 mm thick OSB-type wood chipboard plates.
- Three-phase electrical installations: main board, low-consumption warm LED spotlights, outdoor lighting fixtures with low-consumption LED spotlights, electrical outlets, connection for air conditioners, electric shower.
- Bathroom and kitchen sanitary facilities with a waste treatment system with a prefabricated septic chamber and waste absorption ditch. This system prevents leaks of contaminated water into the subsoil and is removable.
More schematics are provided here.
It is possible to visit a prototype located in Asunsción (Cruz del Chaco 360) and speak with technical experts.
70 years with basic annual maintenance. The company also offers a two-year warranty for construction problems.
The company aims to providing an agile response to the demand for housing in Paraguay and the region. It aims to provide housing solutions that can be expanded over time, with affordable financing arrangements.
Safety hazards related to these houses relate to the proper maintenance of the electrical and water installations.
Connection to the electricity grid, water network and inbound logistics.
Mitchell, A., 2016, Evaluación de impacto del programa de vivienda de emergencia de TECHO – Argentina, Report, Universidad Catolica Argentina, Argentina.
Comparison with baseline between test group and control group.
You can view a gallery of the houses on Fábrica Social de Viviendas’ website.
In context photographs (0)
You can use the form below to contribute a photo of this product.
In context files & documents (0)
Feedback from users, customers & distributors
Please let us know your experience in using this product through comments below.