Healing Waters International
A community-sized water purification unit.
The SolarPure UF is a compact semi-industrial water treatment and bottling plant. It can treat up to 20,000 Liters per 12-hour day using 400 W in solar power mode and filter water with a minimum input of 50W. The core water treatment technologies are Ultrafiltration and Activated Carbon. Interview with representative
Locations without access to safe drinking water but a reliable water source at the site location. Interview with representative
Uganda, Rwanda, and Kenya were listed as target regions by Jibu, a distributor.
Distributed by Healing Waters. Implemented in Uganda, Rwanda, and Kenya by Jibu. Interview with representative
$15,200 USD per unit, does not include solar panels. Significant quantity discounts are available. Typical operating cost (including labor) is $0.005/liter. Interview with representative
Large-scale water treatment systems
Goal 6: Clean water and sanitation
Water stores, entrepreneurs, sustainable micro-businesses, and other income generating activities. Additionally, implementers who want to either sell water at a low price to open the market to those who need it most, or with plans to use the profits for other beneficial purposes. Interview with representative
Batch assembled, up to 12 week lead time for large orders. Interview with representative
Direct purchase from manufacturer or through a partner NGO called Jibu.
Healing Waters has implemented over 200 water projects around the world. This particular design is newer, with 52 units produced to date. Interview with representative
The SolarPure UF uses a 5-step water treatment process which is low-waste, with typically >90% net water recovery. It includes:
- Pre-filtration: 105-micron stainless steel screen.
- Ultrafiltration: 0.02-micon pores for removal of bacteria, viruses, and other waterborne diseases.
- Activated Carbon: 24kg of coconut-shell carbon contains 28,000,000 m2 of surface area. Effective at reducing taste and odor issues.
- Polishing Filter: 0.35-micron cartridge filter.
- Chloramine (at 1.0 ppm) is injected into the final water as a preservative.
Dimensions: 102 cm x 74 cm x 153 cm
Weight: 240 kg
Power Supply: use any 2 of the following:
• City Power (90-240VAC, 50/60Hz)
• Generator (90-240VAC, 50/60Hz, 1000W)
• Solar Panels (48-300VDC) Recommendation: 500-1000W of panels
• Batteries (48V array) Recommendation: Four 12V 100AH batteries
If any power source is reliable and continuously available, an additional power supply may not be needed.
• Any fresh water supply (not salt water)
• Must be tested for chemical contamination
• Should be stored in a holding tank.
• Frame: Stainless steel
• Hardware: Stainless steel and galvanized steel
• Plumbing: Stainless steel, brass, and plastic
• Filter Housings: Plastic and Structural Poly Glass™
• Valves: Stainless steel with PTFE seats
• Pump internals: Stainless steel
Additional built-in functionality:
• Internal clean: sanitizing the filters and plumbing with panel-mounted ball valves (sanitizes with 200ppm chlorine, followed by a clean water flush)
• Backwash: cleaning the membrane by simply turning one panel-mounted ball valve (the backwash is designed to be at a higher pressure than forward flow)
• Bottle-wash: sanitizing the inside of bottles with panel-mounted ball valves (sanitizes with 200ppm chlorine, followed by clean water rinse).
• Diagnostics: Simple diagnostics of clogged filters with 5 panel-mounted pressure gauges
The Healing Waters Engineering team provides support. Interview with representative
Inventory of replacement components are stocked in several countries around the world and growing. Interview with representative
The manufacturers offer a 1 year warrenty. Typical life cycle of 10-20 years, but could be much longer with proper maintenance. Equipment frame and most plumbing/valves are stainless steel. Regarding disposal, filtration media is non-hazardous, stainless steel is a recyclable commodity, and electronic components should be properly recycled. Interview with representative
Provides ultrafiltration with removal of bacteria, viruses, and other waterborne diseases. The SolarPure UF can reach a production rate of up to 30 liters per minute at 400 W, and can filter water with as little as 50 W. All built-in functionality is fully functional at 200 W. Interview with representative
During design phase, 3rd-party performance testing performed by Dr. Nathan Hancock, Colorado School of Mines. Interview with representative
Colorado School of Mines. Interview with representative
The filtration media is non-hazardous.Interview with representative
For surface water, sand pre-filtration is recommended. Interview with representative
Most components are produced in ISO 9001 facilities. Ultrafiltration Membrane is produced in an ISO 9001 facility and is NSF 61 listed. Interview with representative
Field and laboratory performance testing.
In context photographs (0)
You can use the form below to contribute a photo of this product.
In context files & documents (0)
Feedback from users, customers & distributors
Please let us know your experience in using this product through comments below.