Low-cost metering solutions for rural micro-grids and urban central grid utilities
SparkMeter offers comprehensive low-cost metering solutions for everything from rural micro-grids to existing urban central grid utilities
22 countries in North America, Africa and Asia
The solution is directly implemented by SparkMeter personnel. The team travels all over the world meeting with utilities and end users, installing and maintaining microgrids.
Goal 7: Ensure access to affordable, reliable, sustainable and modern energy for all
Central grid utility companies and microgrid developers in developing countries
The solution uses a base station and meters, each one uses different manufacturing methods depending on the specific model.
Copyrighted 2018 SparkMeter, Inc
Direct sales to utility companies (central grid utility or a microgrid developer)
SparkMeter is supporting connections in 22 countries. Of those, over a dozen countries in Asia, Africa, and Latin America are using their smart metering systems for microgrids.
Telecommunication service required for the product/service to work (Mobile data, SMS, voice, Internet, Other)
Local network communication protocol used aside from the telecommunications required (Wifi, bluetooth, Radio frequency, Zigbee, Other)
Device features required for the product/service to work.
Text, Numbers, Multimedia (Photos, video, audio, etc), Geolocation, Sensor readings, Other
List what type of hardware components/devices are used in this IoT solyution (Proprietary, Non Proprietary [Raspberry Pi, Arduino, other])Display order
If Yes, specify the type and quantity of sensors used for the product to deliver the service
Is the code of this project open source?
Is the data from this project publically available?
Android, IOs, Windows, Not applicable, or other [specify]
Batteries, Uninterrupted prower supply (UPS), solar energy, Other [specify]
Monitoring & evaluation (M&E) , survey for project management (baseline, midline, and endline), household surveys for health, ag, financial inclusion, water, education, academic research survey, impact evaluations, market research, other (specify)
- Demand-Side Management and Tariffs
- Smart Load Limiting
- Unlimited, Fully Customizable Tariffs
- Revenue Protection and Loss Monitoring
- Real Time Monitoring and Control
- Detailed technical & financial data
- Versatile Payments and Billing
- Choose prepay or postpay – in one click
- Versatile sales process
- Full Traceability and Accountability
- Two Way Communications
- Robust, local wireless network
- Remote management
There are two main hardware components in the SparkMeter system: the base station, and meters. Once these components are installed, the software platform provides the tools to manage customer payments, collect meter data and manage demand.
Provided by the manufacturer
- Reduce non-technical loss
- Increase availability and reliability
- Improve cost recovery and eliminate metering and billing costs
- Reduced response times with real-time monitoring
- Increased ability to detect instances of energy theft
- Localization of occurrences of energy theft
- Savings on existing revenue protection programs
- Increased rates of customer payment
- Reduces outages from brownouts and blackouts by having certainty that reduction levels will be achieved when necessary
- Increases asset life of grid equipment, including transformers, substations, and inverters by reducing outages and restoration costs
- Increased availability increases revenue by providing power to customers who were previously spending money on backup resources
- Complete elimination of manual meter reading costs
- Increased accuracy of customer meter reads and billing through automation
- Elimination of fraud and tampering of data on customer consumption and payments through our secure database
A utility can expect payback of <2 years even serving the poorest of consumers who use just $2 of electricity per month. Payback of <1 year is achievable when serving customers purchasing just $4 per month.
- Engie Microgrid, Tanzania
- Gham Power Microgrid, Nepal
- EarthSpark Microgrid, Haiti
- E.ON Microgrid, Tanzania
- Husk Power Microgrid, India
Data collected over SparkMeter’s built-in wireless mesh network is uploaded over a low-bandwidth internet connection to SparkMeter’s cloud. Utilities can use ThunderCloud software application, to monitor system operations and set controls for load limiting, demand response, and pricing that synchronize with the meters on the ground. In addition to functionality in the cloud, the utility can log in locally to a base station on the ground for full access to ThunderCloud software on-site with no internet connection.
- Maxim Buevich, Dan Schnitzer, Tristan Escalada, Arthur Jacquiau-Chamski, and Anthony Rowe. 2014. Fine-grained remote monitoring, control and pre-paid electrical service in rural microgrids. In Proceedings of the 13th international symposium on Information processing in sensor networks (IPSN ’14). IEEE Press, Piscataway, NJ, USA, 1-12.
- Maxim Buevich, Xiao Zhang, Dan Schnitzer, Tristan Escalada, Arthur Jacquiau-Chamski, Jon Thacker, and Anthony Rowe. 2015. Short Paper: Microgrid Losses: When the Whole is Greater Than the Sum of Its Parts. In Proceedings of the 2nd ACM International Conference on Embedded Systems for Energy-Efficient Built Environments (BuildSys ’15). ACM, New York, NY, USA, 95-98.
- Michael Musoni, Batanda Kayondo, Hilary Muramira, Innocent Ruzindana. Assessment of Radio Frequency Spectrum and regulation in
Sub-Saharan Africa. University Rwanda, Department of ICT. Kigali, Rwanda
Allows tariff customization to comply with local regulations
Tested and evaluated by partner organizations
In context photographs (0)
You can use the form below to contribute a photo of this product.
In context files & documents (0)
Feedback from users, customers & distributors
Please let us know your experience in using this product through comments below.