The primary objective of the project will be to help design and pilot sustainable approaches to water management on a former mineland site that is being restored by Coalfield Development. Coalfield Development crews are currently on site working to improve the site’s ecology, utilizing permaculture and regenerative agriculture practices to rebuild the natural health of the land. This project aims to help identify sitewide water management practices that will support the organization’s work in this realm. This would include rainwater harvesting, as well as restoring the land’s ability to absorb water and minimize local flooding and erosion.
Primary responsibilities include:
- Support the Coalfield project team currently engaged in design, construction, regenerative agriculture, and ecological restoration activities.
- This will include engaging with the project team and community stakeholders to better understand local conditions, evaluate in-process water management processes, and recommend any potential strategies to improve/deepen the impact of work already underway.
This project will help deepen the impact of our work focused on community-based revitalization, sustainability and conservation: spreading the benefits of environmentally conscious land design to the communities Coalfield Development serves. This work will create innovative examples that model how such practices can foster just, equitable local environments and economies for the people of southern West Virginia.
Skills / Experience:
- CAD Modeling
- Interviewing / User Research
- Multidisciplinary Communication
- Water Resource Management
- Experience in landscape architecture.
- Working collaboratively with community members, fostering relationships with internal and external partners.
- Experience with the project development process – understanding how conceptual designs evolve toward implementation.
- Experience with built works, and an understanding of the construction process and various means/methods that inform implementation of designs.
- Desired: AutoCAD [Basic Level], Civil 3D [Basic Level]
- Environmental engineering, or
Preferred fellow local experience (all projects can be completed remotely):
Time zone compatibility (when the Fellow should be available for meetings):
- EDT (UTC-4)