This project aims to support the redesign of the lid and hinges of Koolboks‘ solar freezer. Currently, the freezer design incorporates ice batteries placed at the lid to optimize cooling efficiency but this weight impacts the overall functionality of the lid and needs to be assessed and redesigned.
Primary responsibilities include:
- Conduct a thorough analysis of the current lid and hinge system.
- Work closely with our R&D team to collaboratively design and iterate the enhanced lid hinges, three-hinge system, and spring mechanism.
- Collaborate with materials engineering experts to identify suitable materials for reinforcement.
- Contribute to prototyping and testing of the new design under various conditions to ensure reliability.
- Evaluate the economic feasibility of mass production and implementation.
This project aligns with Koolboks’ commitment to sustainable and user-friendly technology. By addressing the limitations of the current solar freezer design, it is aimed to enhance the product’s usability and safety, making it more accessible to a wider user base. This project will contribute not only to the advancement of solar freezer technology but also to the broader field of sustainable and efficient cooling solutions.
Skills / Experience:
- CAD Modeling
- Manufacturing / Design for Manufacturing
- Material Science knowledge.
- Understanding or past experience in mechanisms design especially with hinges/spring loaded systems.
- Required: Fusion 360 [Expert Level]
- Desired: Vault [Basic Level]
- Mechanical or materials engineering
Preferred fellow local experience (all projects can be completed remotely):
- Nigeria/West Africa
Preferred timezone (when the Fellow should be available for meetings):
- WAT (UTC+1)