Mass produced. Interview with representative
Intellectural Property Type
User Provision Model
Bright Box can be purchased from local resellers and distributors. Sales and operations are primarily in Kenya, but One Degree Solar is expanding elsewhere in East Africa while developing partnerships with distribution partners in West Africa, South East Asia, and South America.
Distributions to Date Status
Over 20,000 products. Interview with representative
Description of power outputs
2 USBs and 4 DC outlets
Description of light points
Total lighting service (lumen-hours per solar-day)
Peak power rating (Wp)
Battery capacity (kWh; mAh)
Nominal battery voltage (V)
User replaceable battery (yes/no)
Remote system diagnostics (yes/no)
Mobile service required (yes/no)
Design and Components
- Built-in battery
- 2 USB ports
- 4 light ports
- Charging indicator light
- Waterproof solar panel with metal frame and 10m cable
- USB cable for charging popular phones and tablets
- Cable to charge commonly available radios that normally take D-cells
- 2 ultra-bright light bulbs, with independent switches and 8m cables
Manufacturer offers free support via SMS, phone, and email.
Designed so that parts most likely to require replacement can be locally obtained (ex. uses locally available motorbike batteries, 12V DC bulbs, and compatible with popular radios.
1 year warranty according to technology exchange lab, 2 year warranty according to Sollatek. No disposal information available.
Manufacturer Specified Performance Parameters
- 40 hours of light at full charge (2 lightbulbs at 20 hours each)
- Provides more light per charge than any other tested product
Vetted Performance Status
Lighting Global verified the following quality standards:
- Truth in Advertising: Accurate Labeling (e.g., rated run time, battery capacity, PV power)
- Lumen Maintenance: 99% of initial brightness maintained over 2000 hours of operation
- Quality: Passed basic durability and quality checks
- Autonomous Run Time (full battery) - 22 hours with 2 light points on
- Lighting hours per solar day (PV only) - 5.0 hours with 2 light points on
- Light output - 365 Lumens with 2 light points on
Be sure to follow proper electrical installation and control guidelines.
Complementary Technical Systems
Two light points included with product, but four light ports are available for expansion.
Academic Research and References
Compliance with regulations
Lighting Global Minimum Quality Standards.