Cleanbodia Bio Bags
Cleanbodia Bio Bags are biodegradable and compostable plastic-bag alternatives.
Cleanbodia Bio Bags are biodegradable bags made by a technical process which combines cassava starch with a fossil fuel. When disposed of, the starch degrades naturally within just a few months and produces bacteria which begins to directly attack the fossil polymer chains, drastically reducing degradation from hundreds of years to about 5 years.
Cambodia. The product is also available outside Cambodia through custom orders.
Goal 6: Clean water and sanitation
Users include households and businesses encompassing the likes of retail stores, restaurants, and hotels that aim to be eco-minded.
The biodegradable bags are made by a combination of cassava starch and fossil fuel polymers.
Users can request orders through Cleanbodia’s webpage. Orders in Phnom Penh can be picked up in BKK1 while orders outside of Phnom Penh will be delivered.
The bags are distributed nationwide in Cambodia. Over 100 organisations including businesses and schools across 6 cities use Cleanbodia’s products.
Does it requires a person to operate, or is automated to function independently?
Material/products consumed with each use
Type of power needed
The composition of biodegradable bags includes a mixture of cassava starch and fossil fuel polymers. The bags are available in three sizes but its dimensions can also be custom made.
- Biodegradable carrier bag: 50 cm tall (including handles) x 30 cm wide x 12 cm deep with a volume of 12 liters. A roll of 200 bags weigh 1.11 kg
- Medium biodegradable garbage bag: 70 cm tall x 34 cm wide x 16 cm deep with a volume of 38 liters. A roll of 50 bags weigh 1.25 kg
- Large biodegradable garbage bag: 80 cm tall (including handles) x 50 cm wide x 15 cm deep with a volume of 100 liters. 25 bags weigh 1.00 kg.
When disposed of, the cassava starch degrades naturally within just a few months and produces bacteria which begins to directly attack the fossil polymer chains. This drastically reduces the degradation duration from hundreds of years to about 5 years. The product can be degraded in either water, soil or garbage piles.
The biodegradable bags are degraded in about 5 years.
The specific performance targets are outlined for each bag size:
The product is tested to ensure it meets the following requirements to be certified as OK biobased:
- the total carbon content of the product is at least 30%
- the carbon content of a renewable raw material (biobased) is at least 20 %.
Cleanbodia tests its products for durability. The product is also tested by Tuv Austria for OK biobased certification.
The bags are food-safe, so food will not become contaminated by the bag’s material.
The product received the following certifications to inform the user of its level of biodegradability:
- OK biobased: Four-star biobased certification by TÜV Austria regarding the product’s composition from bioplastics and/or materials of natural origin.
- ISO 14855-2: Certification by Vincotte against ISO regarding the product’s aerobic biodegradability in controlled composting conditions.
The manufacturer cites time to degrade and strength as its evaluation criteria.
Cleanbodia also sells compostable bags that can be put in compost and fully degrades in 24 months.
General info about eco-friendly plastic bags: There are a lot of terms related to eco-friendly plastics such as biodegradable, compostable and oxo-biodegradable. Even though claimed to be environmental friendly several versions of “eco-friendly” plastics have been criticized to be even the exact opposite of “eco-friendly”.
Some articles and links with information related to this topic are: 5 surprising secrets of biodegradable plastic bags, Are OXO-biodegradables really environmentally friendly, Conventional plastics, FAQs about plastics.
In context photographs (0)
You can use the form below to contribute a photo of this product.
In context files & documents (0)
Feedback from users, customers & distributors
Please let us know your experience in using this product through comments below.