Cleanbodia Bio Bags are biodegradable bags made by a technical process which combines cassava starch with a fossil fuel. When disposed of, the starch degrades naturally within just a few months and produces bacteria which begins to directly attack the fossil polymer chains, drastically reducing degradation from hundreds of years to about 5 years.
The biodegradable bags are made by a combination of cassava starch and fossil fuel polymers.
Intellectural Property Type
User Provision Model
Users can request orders through Cleanbodia's webpage. Orders in Phnom Penh can be picked up in BKK1 while orders outside of Phnom Penh will be delivered.
Distributions to Date Status
The bags are distributed nationwide in Cambodia. Over 100 organisations including businesses and schools across 6 cities use Cleanbodia's products.
1 bag per use
Power supply type
No power required
The composition of biodegradable bags includes a mixture of cassava starch and fossil fuel polymers. The bags are available in three sizes but its dimensions can also be custom made.
- Biodegradable carrier bag: 50 cm tall (including handles) x 30 cm wide x 12 cm deep with a volume of 12 liters. A roll of 200 bags weigh 1.11 kg
- Medium biodegradable garbage bag: 70 cm tall x 34 cm wide x 16 cm deep with a volume of 38 liters. A roll of 50 bags weigh 1.25 kg
- Large biodegradable garbage bag: 80 cm tall (including handles) x 50 cm wide x 15 cm deep with a volume of 100 liters. 25 bags weigh 1.00 kg.
The biodegradable bags are degraded in about 5 years.
Manufacturer Specified Performance Parameters
The specific performance targets are outlined for each bag size:
Vetted Performance Status
The product is tested to ensure it meets the following requirements to be certified as OK biobased:
- the total carbon content of the product is at least 30%
- the carbon content of a renewable raw material (biobased) is at least 20 %.
The bags are food-safe, so food will not become contaminated by the bag's material.
Complementary Technical Systems
Academic Research and References
Compliance with regulations
The product received the following certifications to inform the user of its level of biodegradability:
- OK biobased: Four-star biobased certification by TÜV Austria regarding the product's composition from bioplastics and/or materials of natural origin.
- ISO 14855-2: Certification by Vincotte against ISO regarding the product's aerobic biodegradability in controlled composting conditions.
Cleanbodia also sells compostable bags that can be put in compost and fully degrades in 24 months. General info about eco-friendly plastic bags: There are a lot of terms related to eco-friendly plastics such as biodegradable, compostable and oxo-biodegradable. Even though claimed to be environmental friendly several versions of "eco-friendly" plastics have been criticized to be even the exact opposite of "eco-friendly". Some articles and links with information related to this topic are: 5 surprising secrets of biodegradable plastic bags, Are OXO-biodegradables really environmentally friendly, Conventional plastics, FAQs about plastics.