UNNI Compostable Trash Bags are 100% biodegradable trash bags made from plant starches that do not contain polyethylene. The product is certified by the Biodegradable Products Institute (BPI), meaning that it can be disposed of in commercial compost sites. The manufacturer has developed various sizes for this product, which are available in the market.
SDG 6: Clean Water and Sanitation
Market Suggested Retail Price
Target Users (Target Impact Group)
Household, Community, Small and Medium-sized Enterprises, Public Sector Agencies, NGOs
Distributors / Implementing Organizations
The product is distributed by a number of online marketplaces including Amazon and eBay.
Direct competitors include Cleanbodia Bio Bags.
UNNI manages its own manufacturing and distribution channels. The organization produces 12,000 kg of the product per year. Interview with Representative in 2020
Intellectural Property Type
User Provision Model
Users can directly obtain the product from UNNI's website. Wholesalers can also organize procurement through the manufacturer's website. The product is also available from online marketplaces including Amazon and eBay.
Distributions to Date Status
UNNI distributed 5,000 kg of the product in 2019. Interview with Representative in 2020
1 bag per use
Power supply type
No power required
The biodegradable bags are made from corn and plant starch and contain no polyethylene. The bags are available in eight sizes. Sample sizes outlined below:
- 2.6 Gallon Compostable Bag: size dimensions is 16.3 in x 16.5 in x 0.71 mils thickness
- 4 Gallon Capacity Bag: size dimensions is 17.7 in x 19.7 in x 0.8 mils thickness
- 13 Gallon Capacity Bag: size dimensions is 23.8 in x 31.5 in x 0.9 mils thickness
- 55 Gallon Capacity Bag: size dimensions is 38 in x 58 in x 1.38 mils thickness
It is recommended that the bag is used after the time of purchase, and within 9 months after opening the package. When disposed of in a compost environment, the starch-based bags are estimated to degrade in 180 days.
Manufacturer Specified Performance Parameters
Designer specified performance targets include: durable, non-toxic, easy to use, and environmentally-friendly.
Vetted Performance Status
For BPI certification, this product was subjected to the following tests:
- Biodegradation testing: measures the inherent ability of the organic carbon in a material to be consumed by microorganisms and shows that the material or item will not accumulate in nature.
- Disintegration testing: measures whether the finished item physically breaks down and falls apart, demonstrate that the item will not create visual contamination in the compost, and indicates that the item is being successfully attacked by microorganisms (so that the carbon is readily available for biodegradation). It is based on the maximum thickness (or grammage for natural fiber) of the disintegration test determines the thickness/grammage of the product used for the disintegration test determines the certified maximum thickness/grammage for the item.
- Compost Quality testing: this includes testing for metals/fluorine, Ash (VOC), and FTIR, as well as tests for Carcinogens, reproductive toxins, and mutagens (CRM). These tests and restrictions are designed to ensure that the compostable material or item does not have negative effects on compost quality.
Users must consider the following advice to ensure the safe and appropriate use of the product:
- The bags are for food waste purposes. It is advised they are used within a year after purchase, and within 9 months after opening the package.
- They are not suitable to store liquids.
- Food waste should be allowed to cool before putting placing in bags.
- Avoid excessive heat. Store bags in a cool, dry place.
- Tie off the bag when full to prevent odors and insect infestations.
Complementary Technical Systems
Academic Research and References
Compliance with regulations
The product received the following certifications applicable for their respective jurisdictions:
- Biodegradable Products Institute (BPI): Certification by the Biodegradable Products Institute for use in commercial and municipal composting facilities, in compliance with U.S. standard ASTM D6400. 100% Compostable.
- OK Compost Home: Certification by TÜV Austria as 100% compostable in the backyard and home composting units. OK Compost Home is one of the world’s only home composting certifications.
- OK Compost: Certification by TÜV Austria as 100% compostable in commercial composting facilities in compliance with the European standard.
- Seedling: European certification for use in commercial and municipal composting facilities.
The product is evaluated for biodegradability, disintegration, and compost quality by third-parties.
The certifications can be found in here