UNNI Compostable Trash Bags
The UNNI Compostable Trash Bags are 100% biodegradable trash bags used for kitchen trash bins, food waste collection, or other organic waste collection.
UNNI Compostable Trash Bags are 100% biodegradable trash bags made from plant starches that do not contain polyethylene. The product is certified by the Biodegradable Products Institute (BPI), meaning that it can be disposed of in commercial compost sites. The manufacturer has developed various sizes for this product, which are available in the market.
The product is available in various sizes. These include the following options:
2.6 Gallon Capacity / 100 Bags Per Roll – 11.95 USD
4 Gallon Capacity / 100 Bags Per Roll – 14.95 USD
13 Gallon Capacity / 50 Bags Per Roll – 16.95 USD
55 Gallon Capacity / 10 Bags Per Roll – 15.95 USD
Primary competitors which also sell similar biodegradable trash bags include Cleanbodia, Primode and INWAYSIN.
Goal 6: Clean water and sanitation
Users include households, retail stores, restaurants, hotels, and other businesses that use bags for kitchen trash bins, food waste collection, and other organic waste collection.
UNNI manages its own manufacturing and distribution channels. The organization produces 12,000 kg of the product per year. Interview with Representative in 2020
UNNI distributed 5,000 kg of the product in 2019. Interview with Representative in 2020
Does it requires a person to operate, or is automated to function independently?
Material/products consumed with each use
Type of power needed
The biodegradable bags are made from corn and plant starch and contain no polyethylene. The bags are available in eight sizes. Sample sizes outlined below:
- 2.6 Gallon Compostable Bag: size dimensions is 16.3 in x 16.5 in x 0.71 mils thickness
- 4 Gallon Capacity Bag: size dimensions is 17.7 in x 19.7 in x 0.8 mils thickness
- 13 Gallon Capacity Bag: size dimensions is 23.8 in x 31.5 in x 0.9 mils thickness
- 55 Gallon Capacity Bag: size dimensions is 38 in x 58 in x 1.38 mils thickness
When disposed of in a compost environment, the starch-based bag degrades naturally in approximately 180 days leaving only water, humus and carbon dioxide.
Designer specified performance targets include: durable, non-toxic, easy to use, and environmentally-friendly.
For BPI certification, this product was subjected to the following tests:
- Biodegradation testing: measures the inherent ability of the organic carbon in a material to be consumed by microorganisms and shows that the material or item will not accumulate in nature.
- Disintegration testing: measures whether the finished item physically breaks down and falls apart, demonstrate that the item will not create visual contamination in the compost, and indicates that the item is being successfully attacked by microorganisms (so that the carbon is readily available for biodegradation). It is based on the maximum thickness (or grammage for natural fiber) of the disintegration test determines the thickness/grammage of the product used for the disintegration test determines the certified maximum thickness/grammage for the item.
- Compost Quality testing: this includes testing for metals/fluorine, Ash (VOC), and FTIR, as well as tests for Carcinogens, reproductive toxins, and mutagens (CRM). These tests and restrictions are designed to ensure that the compostable material or item does not have negative effects on compost quality.
The product is tested by independent laboratories and third-party technical reviewers in order to achieve certification. For BPI certification, the product is tested in BPI-Approved Labs and BPI’s third-party technical review partner, Din Certco.
Users must consider the following advice to ensure the safe and appropriate use of the product:
- The bags are for food waste purposes. It is advised they are used within a year after purchase, and within 9 months after opening the package.
- They are not suitable to store liquids.
- Food waste should be allowed to cool before putting placing in bags.
- Avoid excessive heat. Store bags in a cool, dry place.
- Tie off the bag when full to prevent odors and insect infestations.
The product received the following certifications applicable for their respective jurisdictions:
- Biodegradable Products Institute (BPI): Certification by the Biodegradable Products Institute for use in commercial and municipal composting facilities, in compliance with U.S. standard ASTM D6400. 100% Compostable.
- OK Compost Home: Certification by TÜV Austria as 100% compostable in the backyard and home composting units. OK Compost Home is one of the world’s only home composting certifications.
- OK Compost: Certification by TÜV Austria as 100% compostable in commercial composting facilities in compliance with the European standard.
- Seedling: European certification for use in commercial and municipal composting facilities.
The product is evaluated for biodegradability, disintegration, and compost quality by third-parties.
In context photographs (0)
You can use the form below to contribute a photo of this product.
In context files & documents (0)
Feedback from users, customers & distributors
Please let us know your experience in using this product through comments below.