The Interlocking Stabilized Soil Blocks Granary (ISSB Granary) is a solution for ensuring low cost, secure food storage especially for peasant farmers who cannot afford silos. Farmers can store their crops and sell it later on when the prices are higher.
Distributors / Implementing Organizations
ISSB Granaries are individually constructed with the use of a block press to produce Interlocking Stabilized Soil Blocks
Intellectural Property Type
User Provision Model
The ISSB granary cannot be purchased as a product. The construction process is taught to the farmers so they can build it themselves. Interview with inventor
Distributions to Date Status
There are 30 units constructed to date in Uganda. Interview with inventor
Materials of construction
Grain storage duration
6 months. Interview with representative
Holding Temperature (°C)
Protection from insect entry
Yes. Interview with representative
Storage capacity (kg)
1,000-3,000 Interview with representative
No Interview with representative
Design specifications: Interview with representative
- The construction of the ISSB Granary requires Interlocking Stabilised Soil Blocks (ISSB) produced via a block press.
- Blocks are made on the site thereby reducing transportation costs.
Trained village level entrepreneur/manufacturer provide support.
The granaries are constructed locally on site. The only replacement parts are the bricks.
Managed at household levels and can last many years. Interview with representative
Manufacturer Specified Performance Parameters
- The granaries have demonstrated the capacity to store maize grain free from pests for a period of more than 6 months reducing post harvest waste and ensuring better prices for farmers.
- In comparison to the traditional granaries, the construction of the ISSB Granary requires minimum skills and uses only environmentally friendly technologies
Vetted Performance Status
The interlocking stabilized soil blocks perform better than clay bricks by increasing the structural stability of built walls, while reducing the amount of cement needed as mortar.
No known hazards.
Complementary Technical Systems
T4T also offers a variety of products such as Makapads, Incinerators, ISSB water tanks, thin shell concrete roofs and more.
Academic Research and References
- Innovations for Agricultural Value Chains in Africa Applying Science and Technology to Enhance Cassava, Dairy, and Maize Value Chains– Meridian Institute Value Chains Initiative – Update November 2012 Not peer reviewed
Compliance with regulations