The FarmBeats project is an IoT Platform for data-driven agriculture. It uses several unique solutions including low-cost sensors, drones, and vision and machine learning algorithms to help increase farm productivity and reduce costs.
Microsoft, DJI and Slantrange
Goal 2: End hunger, achieve food security and improved nutrition and promote sustainable agriculture
The solution uses components already available in the market: sensors, drones, cloud systems
Pilot projects in the US and India.
Potential pilot projects in DRC, China and New Zealand.
Connectivity requirement for the product/service to work (Mobile Internet, SMS, voice, Fixed Internet, Wi-Fi, etc)
Device(s) type required for the product/service to work. (smartphone ,feature phone, computer, tablet, other [specify])
Mobile data coverage required for the product/service to work (2G, 3G, 4G, LTE, broadband, dial-up, other [specify])
Connectivity requirement for the product/service to work. Some apps/services can work offline (If No [specify] or Other [specify])
Usage rate for the app/voice-SMS service – to be determined if the manufacturers are willing to share this number.
Device features required for the product/service to work. (Bluethooth, Wifi, camera, IVR, GPS, Accelerometers/Motion sensors, physiologic biosensors, biometric identifiers, SIM, Memory card (e.g microSD), other [specify])
Is the product/service able to receive and send back information to the user?
Support according to the literacy level required from the user. If no, the user is intended to be literate
Operating System required and Software version ((Android, IOs, Windows, or other [specify]))
Power supply required for the product/service to work. (Uninterrupted power supply (UPS), ocassional power supply [minimum time required], other)e
Specify the application that serves the improvement of food system’s outcome (Connection to market, Supply chain information, Education on farming practices, Weather information, Localization information, etc)
The solution includes soil sensors, video streaming balloons, drones, local farm computers and the Microsoft Azure network.
FarmBeats system overview (Vanish, D. et al):
“Availability: The platform should have negligible downtime.
- Capacity: It should support sensors with widely varying requirements: pH sensors reporting few bytes of data to drones sending gigabytes of video.
- Cloud Connectivity: Several farming applications, such as crop cycle prediction, seeding suggestions, farming practice advisory, etc. rely on long term data analytics.
- Data Freshness: Stale sensor data from the farm can make applications suggest incorrect courses of action to the farmer.” (Vanish, D. et al)
FarmBeats supports high bandwidth sensors using TVWS, a long range technology.
It uses a weather-aware solar-powered IoT base station, and an intelligent Gateway that ensure that services are available in the Cloud and offline. It also incorporates path-planning algorithms that extend drone battery life. (Vanish, D. et al)
The FarmBeats system has been tested on two farms: one in Washington state and the other in upstate New York. (Vanish, D. et al)
- Vasish, D. et al: FarmBeats: An IoT Platform for Data-Driven Agriculture.
- Lawless, Joe (2018): “Microsoft and the Future of AI“. MICCSR Case Studies. 12
- Kapetanovic, Z. et al (2017): “Experiences Deploying an Always-on Farm Network”. GetMobile: Mobile Computing and Communications archive. Volume 21 Issue 2, June 2017. Pages 16-21
The solution uses unlicensed, long-range TV white space radio spectrum using FCC certified Adaptrum ACRS radios
Academic research done in two farms of the US (Vanish, D. et al)
4. Chandra, R. “FarmBeats: AI & IoT for Agriculture: enabling affordable data-driven farming”
In context photographs (0)
You can use the form below to contribute a photo of this product.
In context files & documents (0)
Feedback from users, customers & distributors
Please let us know your experience in using this product through comments below.