MomConnect is a South African National Department of Health initiative which aims to support maternal health through the use of cell phone based technologies integrated into maternal and child health services.
MomConnect provides important information to pregnant women, mothers and health care workers and produce strategic information for Maternal and Child Health programmes.
MomConnect has three (3) main objectives:
1) Register each pregnancy at a government health facility;
2) Send stagebased, personalized short message service (SMS) texts to each mom in the registry;
3) Allow women to engage with the health system through help desk tools and feedback services.
* The services are free to the user, and messages are all 11 official South African languages.
Check out this video about MomConnect.
Goal 3: Ensure healthy lives and promote well-being for all at all ages.
Pregnant women in under served communities.
Mentioned in Praekelt Ways of Working Documentation:
* “All code produced in exchange for remuneration by a Praekelt company must have copyright assigned to “Praekelt Foundation” or “Praekelt Consulting” as appropriate.”
* “All code published into open Github repositories must be licenced under the BSD 3-Clause Licence.”
Users can dial a free USSD number ( *134*550# ) and their details will be held in a subscription database.
Connectivity requirement for the product/service to work (mobile internet, SMS, voice).
Mobile data coverage required for the product/service to work (2G, 3G, 4G, LTE, other [specify]).
Device(s) type required for the product/service to work (smartphone, feature phone, tablet, other [specify]).
Device features required for the product/service to work (bluetooth, Wi-Fi, camera, IVR, GPS, accelerometers/motion sensors, physiologic biosensors, biometric identifiers, SIM, memory card (e.g microSD), other [specify]).
Connectivity requirement for the product/service to work. Some apps/services can work offline. If no, specify if network connectivity is needed at any point (e.g connectivity needed for download).
Is the product/service able to receive and send back information to the user?
Rates of user vs downloads/subscriptions – Compliance rate for the app/voice/SMS service
Support according to the literacy level required from the user. If yes, specify type of literacy support. If no, the user is intended to be literate.
Operating system required and software version (Android, IOs, Windows, or other [specify])
Education and behavior change, human resource management, decision support, data collection & analytics, electronic medical records, Healthcare provider- CHW training, telemedicine/remote diagnostic, stock management, disease surveillance and reporting
- Improve patients access to information and encourage health seeking behaviors; Health education.
- Maternal, newborn and child health
- Enhancing Processes: Information communication technology
- Subscription – Pregnant women are able to subscribe to a messaging service which gives them useful information and encourage them to register their pregnancy at the Ante Natal Clinic. To this they dial a free USSD number and their details will be held in a subscription database.
- Registration – Women attending the Ante Natal Clinic are registered on a central database using a similar USSD Number to the subscription method. Health care workers at the facility will assist women with registration.
- Messaging – A number of messages have been developed through consultations between The Department of Health, Health Experts and other organisations with maternal and child health expertise. Messages include antenatal care and accessing care in labour, Diet and Nutrition, Non-pregnancy related Infections, Hypertension, New-born care, Breastfeeding and Immunisation. The messages are tailored to when a women registers, for example a women registering at 19 weeks will receive a different scheduled than a woman registering at 34 weeks. All messages are translated into the 11 South African official languages.
- Service Rating – The day after registering at the clinic a pregnant woman is prompted to fill in a survey on their phones by dialling a free USSD number.
- Compliments and Complaints – Pregnant women, who are registered on the service, are be able to send a complaint or compliment via SMS.
To report a technical or security issue, please contact email@example.com.
Praekelt and South African National Department of Health.
- Peter Barron,Yogan Pillay, Antonio Fernandes, Jane Sebidi, Rob Allen, 2016, The MomConnect mHealth initiative in South Africa: Early impact on the supply side of MCH services
- Joanne Elizabeth Peter, Peter Barron, Yogan Pillay, 2016, Using mobile technology to improve maternal, child and youth health and treatment of HIV patients
- Khou Xiong, Joy Kamunyori, and Jane Sebidi, 2018, The MomConnect helpdesk: how an interactive mobile messaging programme is used by mothers in South Africa
- Khou Xiong and Brittany Iskarpatyoti,2017, MomConnect Operational Research: Capacity Building to Increase Registration Rates at Clinics
- Christopher Seebregtsi, Peter Barron Gaurang, Tannaiv Peter Benjamin, 2016, MomConnect: an exemplar implementation of the Health Normative Standards Framework in South Africa
Field trials and academic research 1-5.
- Innovation Working Group (IWG) mobile health (mHealth) Award by the United Nations Foundation
- Tech4Good for Africa Award Winner, 2017
- Innovative Management Awards 2016, Silver Winner
In context photographs (0)
You can use the form below to contribute a photo of this product.
In context files & documents (0)
Feedback from users, customers & distributors
Please let us know your experience in using this product through comments below.