Hippo Water Roller
Grant Gibbs, Hippo Water Roller Project
The goal of the Hippo Water Roller is to make it easier to transport water over long distances in rural areas.
The Hippo Roller enables women, children and the elderly to collect 5 times more water than a single bucket by rolling it along the ground. This results in savings time, energy, reduced suffering, and has social-impact benefits.
Goal 6: Clean Water and Sanitation
Women, children, and the elderly who collect water in developing countries.
* Sponsorship funding is secured and a recipient community is identified with or without the sponsor.
* The project is introduced to the benefitting community leadership and a mandate to proceed is obtained.
* The handover date is set, and on completion of production, the rollers are delivered to the site.
* At the handover ceremony, community leaders and invited dignitaries address the beneficiaries – Sponsors are encouraged to participate.
* Rollers are handed over to community and/or household representatives in a predetermined and controlled manner.
As 2015, approximately 45,000 Hippo rollers have been distributed.
• Carries 90 litres (5 x buckets)
• Durable – designed for use in tough terrain
• Long lifespan – 5 to 7 years, often much longer
• Weight of water is borne on the ground and distributed over a wide rolling surface
• Large opening for easy cleaning
• Maintenance-free design, requires no replacement parts and promotes continuous use in rural location
Operation demonstrated via this Youtube
Designer claims low to none maintenance costs .
Mini-cap is a standard soda bottle top for easy replacement if damaged.
5 to 7 years, often much longer
To create savings in time, energy and reduced suffering) for those transporting water.
Reduces the suffering and long-term injuries caused by carrying heavy loads
Field testing done.
No listed hazards.
No applicable international standards have been cited.
Once damaged beyond its usefulness for water collection, it has other uses including a storage bin and when cut vertically in half, a feeding/watering trough for animals and a bucket for washing clothes and bathing children.
In context photographs (0)
You can use the form below to contribute a photo of this product.
In context files & documents (0)
Feedback from users, customers & distributors
Please let us know your experience in using this product through comments below.