Ignitia is a SMS service that provides local weather updates based on GPS location to small scale farmers.
Ignitia provides local weather updates, via SMS, based on GPS location to small scale farmers.
Ignitia sends daily, monthly and seasonal rain forecasts to help farmers avoid the adverse impacts of a changing climate.
West Africa, East Africa, India, South East Asia, South America, Central America
Ignitia, partnership with MTN Ghana
Farmers make daily payments by using their current phone credit, a few cents per day, less than 2% of their annual input costs
Goal 2: End hunger, achieve food security and improved nutrition and promote sustainable agriculture
Small holder farmers in tropical areas
Ignitia uses satellites and remote data that is processed in its data center using a high-resolution (3-9 km) WRF model calibrated to tropical weather patterns
80,000 farmers across Ghana, Nigeria, Mali, Senegal, Burkina Faso, Cote d’ivoire, Niger
(smartphone ,feature phone, computer, tablet, other [specify])
(2G, 3G, 4G, LTE,…)
(Connection to market, Microsavings, Supply chain information, Education on farming practices, Weather information, etc)
- No smartphone required
- No farmer training required
- High level of comprehension
Weather prediction down to a specificity of 3km x 3km area.
84% accuracy, twice as accurate as global models (accurate forecasts 307 days out of 365)
Farmers generate up to 80% increase in income due to decreased risk and loss
- Schaer, C., Kuruppu, N. (eds) (2018) Private-sector action in adaptation: Perspectives on the role of micro, small and medium size enterprises UNEP DTU Partnership, Copenhagen.
- Caine A, Dorward P, Clarkson G, Evans N, Canales C and Stern D. 2015. Review of Mobile Applications that Involve the Use of Weather and Climate Information: their use and potential for Smallholder Farmers. CCAFS Working Paper no.150. Copenhagen, Denmark: CGIAR Research Program on Climate Change, Agriculture and Food Security (CCAFS).
- Technical Centre for Agricultural and Rural Cooperation. 2016. Youth e-agriculture entrepreneurship. ICT Update (83)
Evaluation workshops with farmers run by Ignitia
In context photographs (0)
You can use the form below to contribute a photo of this product.
In context files & documents (0)
Feedback from users, customers & distributors
Please let us know your experience in using this product through comments below.