The Ndume Ndogo Air Seeder is a non-conventional seeder with no complex mechanical moving parts but instead uses a pneumatic seed and fertilizer delivery system for easier planting operations. It has one metering unit for sowing seeds and one metering unit for sowing fertilizer while the air is dispensed by a fan driven by the tractor PTO shaft. This dispensing system has no moving parts, therefore, reducing its chances of failure during operation.
Market Suggested Retail Price
Distributors / Implementing Organizations
Batch production at their Ndume Limited factory in Kenya. Interview with representative The system is mounted on a three-point linkage system behind the seedbox and has a double-acting hydraulic ram that helps to lift and lower the cultivator. The external hydraulics is built in such a way that the tractor supplies power for the ram. The system can be disconnected from each other without a challenge.
Intellectural Property Type
User Provision Model
Distributions to Date Status
Approximately 100 machines. Interview with representative
A variety of small seed crops such as wheat, barley, oats, sorghum, and rice.
Seed rate (kg/ha)
Feedstock rate (kg/hr)
Working width (m)
Seeding depth (cm)
Number of rows
Storage capacity (kg)
Portable or stationary?
Field coverage (ha/hr)
Power rating (W, if applicable)
22.371-44.742 kW with one double-acting spool valve.
- Has one metering unit for seed and one for fertilizer; both are fluted roller types made of steel and run on sealed ball bearings.
- The seed and fertilizer mechanisms are pneumatically operated by a fan driven by the tractor PTO shaft.
- Digging is done using heavy-duty spring-loaded Suffolk colter knife openers.
- Depth control is achieved by a spiral covering the rollers at the rear of the machine.
- The mounting of the cultivator is on a 3-point linkage system behind the seedbox.
- The lifting and lowering of the cultivator are by a double-acting hydraulic ram.
- The ram is powered by the external hydraulics of the tractor.
- The driving wheel for the metering units is specified to automatically lift off the tires and stop seeding when the cultivator is lifted out of the ground. The wheel re-engages ready for seeding when lowering the machine into the ground.
Technical support is provided by the manufacturer through different means such as commissioning, written materials, field visits, spare parts, and stocks. Interview with representative
Replacement components are available since manufacturing is almost 100% made of locally made materials thus allowing the immediate provision of spare parts.
Between 1 season and indefinite. All machines depend on the level of care and maintenance carried out by the User. The manufacturer has supplied spare parts for all their machines since 1959. Interview with representative
Manufacturer Specified Performance Parameters
- No complex moving parts
- Versatile - can dispense both seed and fertilizer
Vetted Performance Status
N/A Interview with representative
No specified safety precautions
Complementary Technical Systems
Ndume Kenya Limited has a range of complementary agricultural machinery products.
Academic Research and References
Andrii, Y., Lemiere, J.P., Frédéric, C., 2017, Influence of the divider head functioning conditions and geometry on the seed’s distribution accuracy of the air-seeder. Biosystems Engineering, 161, pp. 120-134.
Johnston, A.M., Stevenson, F.C., Wheat seeding rate for spread and distinct row seed placement with air seeders. Canadian Journal of Plant Science, 81, pp. 885-890.
Dyck, F.B., et al., 1985, Automatic depth control for cultivators and air seeders developed under the AERD program. Conference and Exposition, American Society of Agricultural Engineers, p. 265-276.
Compliance with regulations
Ndume Kenya Limited machines have been designed and manufactured in accordance to the Kenya Bureau of Standards (KEBS). Interview with representative