Kiva is a non profit that is attempting to enable access to lending by crowd funding loans.
Kiva provides micro-loans directly or through partners to enable low income individuals access to capital that they would not otherwise have.
Kiva is a 501(c)3 U.S. nonprofit
Underserved populations without access to banking or capital.
Other, Kiva releases a large amount of their code base as open source.
From their impact page:
– 2.9 million borrowers
– 1.7 million lenders
Connectivity requirement for the product/service to work (Mobile Internet, SMS, voice, Fixed Internet, Wi-Fi, etc)
Mobile data coverage required for the product/service to work (2G, 3G, 4G, LTE, broadband, dial-up, other [specify])
Device(s) type required for the product/service to work. (smartphone ,feature phone, computer, tablet, other [specify])
Device features required for the product/service to work. (Bluethooth, Wifi, camera, IVR, GPS, Accelerometers/Motion sensors, physiologic biosensors, biometric identifiers, SIM, Memory card (e.g microSD), other [specify])
Connectivity requirement for the product/service to work. Some apps/services can work offline (If No [specify] or Other [specify])
Is the product/service able to receive and send back information to the user?
Usage rate for the app/voice-SMS service – to be determined if the manufacturers are willing to share this number.
Support according to the literacy level required from the user. If no, the user is intended to be literateDisplay order
Operating System required and Software version
Is the data from this application available? If so list,(API access, full download, other)
Supported formats (JSON, XLS, CSV, XML, other)
Power supply required for the product/service to work. (Uninterrupted power supply (UPS), ocassional power supply [minimum time required], other)
Specify the application that serves financial inclusion (Mobile money, insurance, loans, microfinance/micro lending, crowd funding, aid distribution, cash payment, etc)
Their technology platform is a combination of open source and licensed software. Siftery has detailed information about the technology they utilize.
They publish detailed information on their API and how to integrate it into your application.
Kiva labs attempts solve global issues by funding risky ideas to tackle issues that are impacting undeserved populations.
Technical support is provided by Kiva.
From Kiva’s about page:
“Kiva is an international nonprofit, founded in 2005 and based in San Francisco, with a mission to connect people through lending to alleviate poverty. We celebrate and support people looking to create a better future for themselves, their families and their communities.”
From Kiva’s impact page:
– $1 billion dollars in loans
– 2.5 million borrowers
– 1.6 million lenders
– 84 countries
– 81% of borrowers are women
Statistical analysis software (Stata, R, etc.)
- Gajjala V, Gajjala R, Birzescu A, Anarbaeva S. Microfinance in online space: a visual analysis of kiva.org. Development in Practice. 2011;21(6):880–893.
- Choo J, Lee C, Lee D, Zha H, Park H. Understanding and promoting micro-finance activities in Kiva.org. Proceedings of the 7th ACM international conference on Web search and data mining – WSDM 14. 2014.
- Liu Y, Chen R, Chen Y, Mei Q, Salib S. “I loan because…”. Proceedings of the fifth ACM international conference on Web search and data mining – WSDM 12. 2012.
- Hartley SE. Kiva.org: Crowd-Sourced Microfinance and Cooperation in Group Lending. SSRN Electronic Journal. 2010.
- Megan Moodie, Microfinance and the Gender of Risk: The Case of Kiva.org, Signs: Journal of Women in Culture and Society 38, no. 2 (Winter 2013): 279-302.
- Schwittay AF. Making Poverty Into A Financial Problem: From Global Poverty Lines To Kiva.org. Journal of International Development. 2013;26(4):508–519.
In context photographs (0)
You can use the form below to contribute a photo of this product.
In context files & documents (0)
Feedback from users, customers & distributors
Please let us know your experience in using this product through comments below.