The Kinosol Orenda Food Dehydrator is a technology that dries and preserves food for 6 months using a natural convection system that allows airflow without the need of a fan. It aims at creating additional income to its users while reducing food wastage at household levels.
Market Suggested Retail Price
Distributors / Implementing Organizations
KinoSol is working with organizations around the globe to field test Orendas. They are working with aid organizations, churches and NGOS.
Made to order. Interview with representative
Intellectural Property Type
User Provision Model
Currently Orendas are in prototype, so subsistence farmers can get them for free to perform field tests. They can also be purchased online through Kinosol's website. Additionally an Orenda can be sent to a subsistence farmer abroad through a sponsorship program where donations can be made from $20 to $200 USD, when a full Orenda is funded ($200) it is shipped through Kinosol's international partners.
Distributions to Date Status
Drying capacity (lbs/m³)
33 Interview with representative
Drying duration (hr)
6-8 solar hours Interview with representative
Load capacity (m³)
0.03 Interview with representative
Operating temperature range (°C)
Number of trays
Materials of construction
Aluminium Interview with representative
- Relies on a natural convection system, which allows products to dehydrate without using any electrical inputs.
- Has ventilation holes that allow heat transfer from the bottom of the unit, flowing up through the top.
- This system allows moisture to escape while trapping heat within the units.
- The dryer has a storage unit that comes with resealable mylar bags.
Provided by manufacturer
Replacement parts available if requested directly from Kinosol. Interview with representative
The projected lifetime is between 5 and 7 years based on the material Interview with representative
Manufacturer Specified Performance Parameters
- Retains nearly 100% of the inputs to reduce 90% of the dehydration time.
- The dehydration rate varies based on weather and location, on average dehydration time is one day.
- According to manufacturer, mylar protects food from heat, light, moisture, oxygen, and pests.
Vetted Performance Status
Trays might get hot
Complementary Technical Systems
The Orenda comes with 4 resealable mylar storage bags which protect dehydrated food from heat, light, moisture, oxygen, and pests.
Academic Research and References
Compliance with regulations