Green Dreams TECH Ltd.
iCow is a mobile phone based agricultural information platform for small holder farmers. It was developed to solve the problem of permanent access to verified valuable agricultural content. It is designed to be simple, cost effective and reliable.
iCow enables livestock farmers in Kenya to get the best practices in cow and chicken rearing and to accurately track their cows’ gestation period via mobile phone. Farmers register their cows and their insemination date by SMS short code, and then receive periodic SMS prompts timed with vital days during the gestation period. The service also sends weekly SMS messages to subscribers with information and tips on breeding, diet, nutrition, health, illness and disease, milk production efficiency, and other best dairy practices.
– The several services in iCow are:
— Kalenda-Cow Calendar: a cow gestation calendar, which sends a farmer timely important messages about his cow upon registering it.
— iMashauri: weekly prompts that give farmers important tips on farming best practices.
– – Vetenari: a tool to find the nearest Vet or Artificial Inseminator.
iCow services are paid individually and per SMS.
Goal 2: End hunger, achieve food security and improved nutrition and promote sustainable agriculture.
iCow targets dairy farmers, in particular the older farmers who don’t have access to Facebook and don’t use the Internet.
iCow is a closed source software.
iCow has a database of 600,000 farmers and over 60,000 active iCow users in all 47 counties in Kenya.
(smartphone ,feature phone, computer, tablet, other [specify])
(2G, 3G, 4G, LTE,…)
(Connection to market, Microsavings, Supply chain information, Education on farming practices, Weather information, etc)
iCow will track each cow individually and allow the farmers to maintain all relevant information specific to each cow. It will give the farmer access to:
– – A comprehensive Gestation Calendar customized to each heifer and cow based on the Date of Service
– – A calf calendar to ensure calves are reared following best practices and are thus able to reach optimum genetic potential
– – A customizable Immunization Calendar
– – Health Information Services
– – Diet Information Services
– – Nutrition Information Services
– – Illness and Disease Information Services
– – Calf Records
iCow will be accessed by farmers all through their mobile phones or the internet.
To Register on iCow Simply Dial *285# and follow menu.
iCow has set up a customer care center that registered users can call to provide feedback and receive live advice in several languages.
Versioning cycle unknown.
– iCow impact study (2012)
– – 82% of farmers who joined seven months earlier are still on the platform;
– – All claimed they have benefitted from being on iCow;
– – 42% farmers report increased incomes;
– – 56% of those with increased incomes are due to increased milk yield ranging from 1.5 to 3 litres per lactating animal;
– – Other benefits include: Reduced spending on commercial feed due to knowledge on homemade production; Increased markets and incomes for livestock and livestock by products; Increased customers reported by AI providers; Reduction of animal illness and mortality due to efficient access to relevant experts; Storage of feed in preparation for drought and dry conditions; Planting of forage thus planning before purchasing a dairy cow; Healthier livestock, including calves.
Field trials and customers’ reviews. Case studies of iCow are available on their blog.
iCow won Apps4Africa in 2011, the Vision 2030 Award for agriculture in 2013 and runner up for the Africa Innovation Prize in 2013.
Expert advisors have expressed concerns regarding iCow model, which could not be sustainable in the long term. An eventual evolution/update project could be too hard and long.
In context photographs (0)
You can use the form below to contribute a photo of this product.
In context files & documents (0)
Feedback from users, customers & distributors
Please let us know your experience in using this product through comments below.