powered by RapidSMS.
EduTrac is a mobile phone-based data collection system under pilot by UNICEF and Ugandan Ministry of Education and Sports (MoES).
EduTrac helps districts improve their education planning and provides better and more timely supervision to schools based on system reports.
EduTrac collect real time data including pupil attendance for P3 and P6 classes, violence cases recorded in schools, opinions on whether children are having regular meals at school, teacher and head teacher attendance, SMC meetings held, progress of literacy curriculum, availability of water and soap for hand washing and receipt of UPE (Universal Primary Education) grants amongst other quality related factors.
EduTrac is an SMS based system; SMS messages are sent free of charge from any mobile network in country through short code 6200.
Video about the story behind EduTrac.
Goal 4: Quality education
Available on GitHub.
Specify how the application serves the improvement of access to education (education equipment, educational behavior change, human resource management, decision support, data collection & analytics, electronic education records, education provider, stock management, special education surveillance and reporting)
Operating System required and Software version (Android, IOS, Windows, or other [specify])
Support according to the literacy level required from the user. If no, the user is intended to be literate
Usage rate for the app/voice-SMS service – Rates of user vs downloads
Is the product/service able to receive and send back information to the user?
Connectivity requirement for the product/service to work. Some apps/services can work offline (Y/N [specify], Other [specify])
Device features required for the product/service to work. (bluethooth, Wifi, camera, IVR, GPS, Accelerometers/Motion sensors, ,biometric identifiers, SIM, Memory card (e.g microSD), other [specify])
Device(s) type required for the product/service to work. (Smartphone ,feature phone, tablet, other [specify])
Mobile data coverage required for the product/service to work (2G, 3G, 4G, LTE, Other [specify])
Connectivity requirement for the product/service to work (Mobile Internet, SMS, voice)
Data Collection: EduTrac collects data from schools through a scheduled poll system to categorised reporters.
Data is sent into the system on a regular basis:
*Weekly for pupil attendance
*Monthly for reports on child abuse
*Termly for capitation grants made to the schools.
Other data that can be collected by the education monitoring system include:
*Data on teacher attendance
*Presense of amenities such as hygienic facilities at schools.
- 47.6% (1636) of all schools now use the platform to report on VAC.
- Uganda has reached 96% enrolment rate in primary education and the gender gap in primary schools has been closed.
- Approximately 8% of school going age children 6-12 years have never enrolled in primary (source: EMIS). The completion rate in 2013 was 69 % (69 %, 71 % boys) but the survival rate to primary seven is only 32%.
- K. Mulloy, E. Pakkala, 2015, Edutrac In Uganda: Highlights from the Design, Development And Deployment Of a Mobile-Based Data Collection System
- Janet Akao Abaneka, OLIVER CHRISTINE NAKYAZZE, edutrac Uganda, 2014, EduTrac Blog Magazine
- UNICEF,2013, EduTrac Documentation
- Matthew Cummins and Barbara Huddleston, 2013, Real Time Monitoring for the Most Vulnerable: UNICEF’s Experience in Uganda
Field Trials (check here Metrics/Evidence)
In context photographs (0)
You can use the form below to contribute a photo of this product.
In context files & documents (0)
Feedback from users, customers & distributors
Please let us know your experience in using this product through comments below.