The Emrax Electric Motor is an axial flux motor available with different battery capacities depending on the intended usage, manufactured by Emrax Electric. The motors are stackable to increase the available power. The manufacturer offers the possibility to build customized motor controller packages depending on the need.
Distributors / Implementing Organizations
The electric motors are manufactured at Emrax facilities in Slovenia.
Intellectural Property Type
User Provision Model
The potential user establishes a quote for a specific configuration and sends it to the manufacturer. The user then receives a reply with the expenses and can then order the engine. The manufacturer will then ship the product from Slovenia.
Distributions to Date Status
Emrax motor has the following features:
- 5 possible motor versions with 5 possible battery capacities and available torque (52 kW/90 Nm, 68 kW/140 Nm, 109 kW/230 Nm, 200 kW/500 Nm, 380 kW/1000 Nm)
- Axial flux permanent magnet motor
- Input type: sinusoidal three phase
- High torque at low RPM
- 3 cooling options: Air (IP21), Combined (IP21) or Liquid (IP65)
- Possibility to stack two same motors on the same shaft
- Power density up to 10 kW/kg
- Gearless drive
- Weight: around 7 kg
- Air cooled, liquid cooled or combined cooled (Air+Liquid)
- Max rpm: 6500
- Motor efficiency: 92-98%
Provided by the manufacturer via contact by email
Bearings, internal discs, and jacks
Lifetime of the motor is the same as the lifetime of the bearing
Manufacturer Specified Performance Parameters
– Customized in shortest time – Best in class power density (up to 10 kw/kg) – Best in class efficiency (up to 98%) – Compact and durable design – Stacking option
Vetted Performance Status
In February 2014 thermal tests were performed. The motor was exposed to shock tests from -40°C to +160°C for 17 days (24h/day). The test results were satisfactory. In addition, customer feedback is continuously gathered.
Mixing up the polarity of the battery or a short circuit leads to a destruction of the drive and represents an acute fire hazard and danger of life.
Complementary Technical Systems
One-man rigging aid
Academic Research and References
Allison, M. , Bidwell, B., Hopson, S., Smith, J., Streegan, C. and Villa, D., 2013, Formula Electric: Powertrain, Bachelor thesis, Department of Mechanical Engineering, Santa Clara University
Compliance with regulations
EMC certificate (E26)–electromagnetic field testing: the motor complies with essential protection requirements of EMC Directive 2014/30/EU. EMRAX approval number is: E26 10 R 05 1160. EMRAX is in process of obtaining ISO 9001:2015 certificate. EMRAX is in process of obtaining European Union Aviation Safety Agency (EASA) certification for EMRAX 268 motor