Open Data Kit
University of Washington & Google
The Open Data Kit is a set of free and open-source software for collecting, managing, and using data in resource-constrained environments.
According to their website Open Data Kit (ODK) allows a user to (1) build a survey through ODK Build, (2) conduct mobile data collection with ODK Collect, and (3) aggregate the collected data and extract with ODK Aggregate.
Find a video here explaining ODK.
Read more about the deployment of projects using ODK.
Goal 9: Industry, innovation and infrastructure
Individuals, governmental and non-governmental organizations
ODK Collect on Android has been installed by more than 500,000 users, as of July 2018.
Below are the ODK tools released and supported:
– ODK Build enables users to generate forms – called XForms – using a drag-and-drop form designer. Build is implemented as an HTML5 web-based application and targets the common use case of a simple form.
– ODK Collect is a phone-based replacement for the paper forms. Collect is built on the Android platform and can collect a variety of form data types: text, location, photos, video, audio, and barcodes.
– ODK Aggregate provides a ready to deploy online repository to store, view and export collected data. Aggregate can run on Google’s infrastructure as well as on local servers backed by MySQL and PostgreSQL.
– ODK Form Uploader uploads a blank form and its media files to ODK Aggregate.
– ODK Briefcase transfers data from Collect and Aggregate.
– ODK Validate ensures that the users have a OpenRosa compliant form — one that will also work with all the ODK tools.
– ODK XLS2XForm allows XForms to be designed with Excel.
For additional help, search the email@example.com mailing list (for general questions), and the firstname.lastname@example.org (for coding questions) to see if the issue has been answered. If there is no answer available, a new question can be posted to the appropriate list and the ODK team will reply.
To assist in data collection, management, and use in resource-constrained environments using an open source approach.
In a study conducted at Columbia University, no hardware problems were encountered, but few software issues such as occasional freezing, slow GPS, suboptimal performance when used in areas without stable network connectivity, and problems with use of accented letters and special symbols in the French version of the questionnaire.
ODK has also been tested by users. The ODK Collect app is rated 4.4/5 by 2,532 users on Android.
C. Hartung, A. Lerer, Y. Anokwa, C. Tseng, W. Brunette and G. Borriello, 2010, Open Data Kit: Tools to Build Information Services for Developing Regions, in ICTD, 2010.
W. Brunette, M. Sundt, N. Dell, R. Chaudhri, N. Breit and G. Borriello, 2013, Open Data Kit 2.0: Expanding and Refining Information Services for Developing Regions, in ACM HotMobile, 2013.
W. Brunette, R. Sodt, R. Chaudhri, M. Goel, M. Falcone, J. VanOrden and G.Borriello, 2012, Open Data Kit Sensors: A Sensor Integration Framework for Android at the Application-Level, in MobiSys, 2012.
R. Chaudhri, W. Brunette, M. Goel, R. Sodt, J. VanOrden, M.Falcone and G. Borriello, 2012, Open Data Kit Sensors: Mobile Data Collection with Wired and Wireless Sensors , in ACM DEV, 2012.
W. Brunette, S. Sudar, N. Worden, D. Price, R. Anderson and G. Borriello, 2013, ODK Tables: Building Easily Customizable Information Applications on Android Devices, in ACM DEV, 2013.
Y. Anokwa, N. Ribeka, T. Parikh, G. Borriello and M. C. Were, 2012, Design of a Phone-Based Clinical Decision Support System for Resource-Limited Settings, in ICTD, 2012.
D. Ichwana and T. Juhana, 2018, Implementation of Mobile Data Collection System for Disaster Rapid Emergency Response System Using Open Data Kit, in 2018 International Conference on Information Technology Systems and Innovation (ICITSI), pp. 485-490.
and older publications.
F. Jeffrey‐Coker, M. Basinger and V.Modi, 2010, Open Data Kit: Implications for the Use of Smartphone Software Technology for Questionnaire Studies in International Development, Columbia University Mechanical Engineering Department.
In context photographs (0)
You can use the form below to contribute a photo of this product.
In context files & documents (0)
Feedback from users, customers & distributors
Please let us know your experience in using this product through comments below.