Towards Safer School Construction: A Community-Based Approach
Global Alliance for Disaster Risk Reduction and Resilience in the Education Sector (GADRRRES)
This publication synthesizes the lessons from past community-based school construction programs and projects around the globe.
Towards Safer School Construction – A Community-Based Approach provides guidance for school construction projects that have one or more of the following characteristics:
- Local school committees or community leaders contributing to the funding, planning, construction or oversight of school buildings in hazard-prone areas.
- Construction that may enhance existing or planned disaster risk reduction education.
- A local construction sector that does not already include robust hazard-resistant design, construction and oversight practice.
- Combined post-disaster reconstruction and disaster risk reduction.
While the focus of the manual is on schools built through community-based processes, the guidelines may also enhance more traditional school construction processes, such as when government agencies directly build schools or hire contractors to do so
Worldwide hazard-prone areas
The manual is intended primarily for use by humanitarian and development actors.
List all contributing authors
List all languages
Is the manual intended for a response effort or for longer term development
Summary of manual intention and contents
- A call for safer schools
- A community-based approach
- Learning form the past: Global school construction
- Community-based school construction around the world
- A commitment to safer school buildings
- Key principles of community-based safer school construction
- The Comprehensive School Safety Framework
- Overview of a community-based approach
- Key actors
- Key activities of the community-based approach
- Crosscutting efforts in the community-based approach
- The evolution of a community-based approach
- The Strategic Planning and Mobilization Stage
- The Community Planning Stage
- The Community Design Stage
- The Community Construction Stage
- The Post-Construction Stage: School operation maintenance and safety
Any other documents from same organization, common region, or similar condition
This manual shows how community-based approaches to
safer school construction can do more than just provide
safer school buildings in hazard-prone places. It can also:
• Raise awareness about hazards within communities
• Build local capacity for safe construction practices
• Strengthen a culture of safety within and around the
• Increase a sense of community ownership of the school
• Ensure community values are incorporated into
In context photographs (0)
You can use the form below to contribute a photo of this product.
In context files & documents (0)
Feedback from users, customers & distributors
Please let us know your experience in using this product through comments below.